1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Killeen Sports Editor - Let me hear it!

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GandyCreampie, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Company: Killeen Daily Herald
    Position:
    Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    February 18, 2009
    Job ID: 1011467

Description:
    Know the difference between "local" and "local interest"? The Killeen Daily Herald, a 20,000 circulation paper in Central Texas, is looking for a Sports Editor who can take an active sports scene and deliver it to a diverse audience. High schools are the bread-and-butter, but we are located in the heart of Big 12 country, so college coverage is a big draw. The right candidate will take the lead in helping integrate our Web product and print editions, and oversee three weekly publications while helping provide leadership for the daily section. Already, the paper´s site has a stand-alone preps sports presence, and the push will be to do even more. The goal is a modern approach, one that will continue to emphasize the local scene - utilizing features, profiles, breakouts and analysis, not just the usual preview-game story-follow model - while also producing complete sections for a readership that comes from all over the country. Fort Hood - with 50,000 soldiers on post - is in our back yard, so the challenge is an audience that wants a little bit of everything in its Sports pages. We offer a competitive salary, great benefits, paid vacation, sick leave and profit sharing. For immediate consideration apply online or e-mail your resume, clips, any design examples and a cover letter to personnel@kdhnews.com. You may mail resume and clips to Killeen Daily Herald, Attn: personnel, PO Box 1300, Killeen, TX 76541.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Bill Begley is good people. That's all I got.

3. If you check JJ.com you know Killeen has LOTS - LOTS! - of turnover Not neccessarily at SE, but several other positions.

I beleive it is also a CNHI paper.

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

It is NOT CNHI. It's privately owned. Same lady owns it, Temple and a local TV station.
    I'm curious as to know why this is open. Is Miller (the previous SE) moving on? Seems like he's been there a while. I can't say much for the quality of the paper as I haven't seen it in a while, but I've met Mark. Quiet, nice guy. Hope he's found a good gig somewhere.

5. Was it a CNHI paper? Maybe Thompson?

At any rate, lots of turnover. ...

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Nah. The person who owns it now has owned it since the 50s.

But yeah, they've had a lot of turnover. A lot has to do with upper management.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

well technically, the person who owns it married the man (frank mayborn) who built quite a little mini media empire. she's bat-shit crazy and the problems in upper management lead directly back to her.

i don't think i've ever seen a paper this size that regularly has so much turnover.

8. Anybody know where Mark Miller ended up? I don't think he was particularly happy with the place.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Interviewed in Killeen back in the very early 90s. The town is a bit different because of the large military presence at Fort Hood.

Still, if high school and college football are your thing, wouldn't be a bad spot. Close enough to Austin, Waco and College Station that you could have a Big 12 presence pretty regularly.

10. bevo

bevo Member

Pretty sure they aren't doing any layoffs, either. A giant military base in your backyard has to be good for something. In Killeen, the base is the economy. Oh, and this job probably pays about $28,000, give or take.

11. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

Anyone know if they really cover college ball? I would think Baylor is close enough.

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

They staff Mary Hardin-Baylor, a pretty solid D3 football team. And they will do some Baylor/UT/A&M games. They have a big interest in Baylor now that Robert Griffin is the QB, he's from Copperas Cove, a major town in their circulation area.

I've been trying to find out what the deal is and best I can tell no one there knows for sure. Sounds like they are looking to start turning the focus more on the web more than print. Miller is definitely seemed like an old-school print guy.

Good luck whoever gets it. It still sounds like a wild and shaky situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted