1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

658 yards rushing on 29 carries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riddick, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Excellent follow-up to the story by the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/05/AR2006100501978.html

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Outstanding stuff. Thanks for the link.

I just assumed that night's opponent sucked donkey balls. I didn't realize the coach went to such ridiculous lengths in pursuit of the record:

Hunt knew Kinder well, since both men have taught classes at Burch recently, and he'd always regarded his rival coach as something of a local legend.

"He is a guy I always respected," Hunt said. "I never thought he would make me feel like this."

The coach felt confused when McCoy ran onto the field to start the second half. Livid when Matewan started to run a no-huddle offense in the third quarter with a 35-point lead. Nauseous when Matewan stopped returning punts, instead letting the ball roll backward to leave more yards for McCoy.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've almost always been on the other side of the RUTS argument ... but even I would have a hard time defending Mr. Kinder on this one.

Just too blatant. It ceased being a football game.

4. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

I couldn't believe when I read that they let the punts roll for more yardage. That is sickening.

Then I thought about Kinder. One of the first stories I ever wrote for my former paper in North Carolina was when Kinder was hired to coach the local school and didn't tell the administration about a string of sexual misconduct allegations against him. The story came out, he resigned before he ever coached a game and returned to his old school. Yuck, what a sleaze.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

S-a-y... haven't I read this story before???

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The epilogue came this past Friday. Tug Valley 8, Matewan 7. Paul McCoy: 81 yards rushing.

7. Kool-Aid

Kool-Aid Member

I played for Kinder at Matewan. Believe absolutely everything you read and hear no matter how unbelievable it may seem.

And say what you want, but he would be the same if he were the coach at Hoover or Lakeland. He would win a lot of games and he would win them his way and not give a damn what you, me or anybody thought of how he did it. His guys would love him, everybody else would hate his guts.

And, no, I'm not defending him. My therapist wouldn't allow that ...

Draft saved Draft deleted