1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

658 yards rushing on 29 carries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riddick, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You go, Yogi. But I don't wanna hear one peep out of you when a) somebody cheap-shots McCoy when you're up 48-0, and b) when some other team gets ahold of you, and lays the lumber on you as bad or worse as you're dishing it out now.

Everybody knows I'm fine with coaches running it up, but if they do, they forfeit forever their rights to bitch on either of those counts.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ken Hall is still the greatest HS RB ever in my book.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So I guess this kid is ....

(sweating ... biting nails ... can I hold back ... no I can't ...)

.... the real McCoy.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Oh...

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's far from a lock.

First of all, at 5-9, 175, the kid had better be running at least a 4.5 40 if he wants a full ride.

Second, I've seen how these rushing totals roll up, thanks to another McCoy -- LeSean, who's going to Miami next year after a year of prep school. Saw him run for 430-something as a sophomore, and the numbers add up in a hurry if you pop 3-4 coast-to-coast runs. Well, if you're quicker than everyone in the back seven, that's going to happen quite often. And from there, it's a matter of field position. If you're starting at the 20 a lot, you're going to have a lot of 80-yard runs.

Third, there are some very, very low levels of high school football out there, and small-school West Virginia football is one of them. Remember, J.R. House threw, what, 11 TD passes in his state final? Throw a kid with quicks against a team with no quicks, and the result is predictable.

Will not be at all surprised if this kid settles into a nice little career at West Liberty State or someplace like that.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'd take Emmitt Smith, but nothin' wrong with Mr. Hall.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I was thinking more along the lines of Pikeville (Ky.) College ...

8. Pikeville is probably a good bet!
    One of his predecessors, a hell of small school running back who had similar number, went to Pikeville.

That part of the state: football is not so good and Matewan plays a spread offense - ala WVU - so a (good) RB can rack up big numbers.

Wanted to add this:
    Yogi Kinder is a real piece of work. Hell of good interview. Not so popular (outside of Matewan) in his own neck of thw woods.

9. [​IMG]

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Hey, he works for the AP! You show him some damn respect! ::)

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Monquantae Gibson, a former UK back who now plays for Youngstown State, racked up more than 500 yards in his last high school game.

12. trounced

trounced Active Member

Agreed. He looked VERY ordinary on the film clip they showed.

Draft saved Draft deleted