1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

658 yards rushing on 29 carries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riddick, Sep 30, 2006.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Both teams are 1A. Matewan is No. 4, Burch No. 35.

http://www.wvssac.org/new_site/wvssac_website/html/sportsandschedules/football/football2002RatingsA.htm

2. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Amen Fenian...Amen

3. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

Both teams are 1A. Matewan is No. 4, Burch No. 35.

[/quote]

And when you're 35th in West Virginia in Class A, well, you're just happy to field enough players to dodge a forfeit.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

ZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I should have known...very nice.

6. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

OMG is this guy human.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Today's edition of the Charlestown Gazette-Mail doesn't have any more game details than the wire brief at the top of this thread, but says he actually had 661 yards on only 25 carries. MaxPreps also says 661 but claims it was 28 rushes. Either way you look at it, that's more than 23 yards per carry.

His season totals to date are apparently correct. In five games, he has 1,820 rushing yards with 26 TDs — 25 of them rushing and one on a punt return. He's also averaging almost five tackles per game as a defensive back.

Yeah, Matewan is Class A, but they beat Man and that team is 2-2 against AA schools this season.

Apparently he was featured on CNN today, and here's an article from earlier this season after being named the AP's state high school player of the week.

Matewan running back sets state record

By JOHN RABY
    AP Sports Writer

CHARLESTON -- Matewan running back Paul McCoy spent part of Sunday installing a new transmission in his car.

He sure had his motor running in the Tigers' season opener.

McCoy was named as the The Associated Press state high school player of the week after rushing for a state-record 537 yards and scoring six touchdowns in a 48-43 win over Shelby Valley, Ky.

"I'm worn out. My legs are aching," McCoy said Sunday.

McCoy broke the single-game record of 460 yards set by Gilmer County's Jacob Lilly against Tygarts Valley in 2002.

McCoy, who had 33 carries, scored on runs of 60, 30, 13, 4, 73 and 93 yards.

"I've never seen nothing like that in my daggone life. Never," said Matewan coach Yogi Kinder. "That kid was all over the field."

If McCoy's performance stands up, it would rank eighth all time nationally, according to records kept by the National Federation of State High School Associations. Ronney Jenkins of Oxnard Hueneme, Calif., holds the single-game record with 619 yards in 1995.

McCoy had TD runs of 97 and 67 yards called back by penalties.

"If we didn't have those penalties, I'd be number one," McCoy said.

The game was the opener of a doubleheader played in Hi Hat, Ky. Matewan's players watched the second game from the stands, and Kinder knew McCoy's energy was spent.

"I looked at him and he was asleep in the bleachers," Kinder said. "The other guys had to punch him to get him up."

Kinder joked to McCoy, a 5-foot-9, 175-pound senior, that he will be a target for defenses from now on.

"I said, 'You just marked yourself for the rest of the season. You should have waited until late in the year,"' Kinder said.

Actually, McCoy has done well before. Early in the 2005 season he had 241 yards and four scores in a 64-62 double-overtime win over Portsmouth East, Ohio. But he suffered a knee injury against Gilbert and didn't play in the final three games.

"I wanted to show everybody I was back," McCoy said. "I didn't think it would be that good."

Despite McCoy's performance against Shelby Valley, Matewan needed third-string quarterback Chase Moore's 8-yard touchdown pass to Max Whitt with 22 seconds left to win the game.

From Dave Krider's high school notebook on SI.com (posted Aug. 30):

McCoy, who runs a 4.5 40, obliterated his career-best of 250 yards and three TDs set in a game last year. He knows he "is going to have a stamp on" himself as a marked man for the rest of the year. He hopes to use the record outing as a springboard for a college scholarship because at this time he has no solid offers.

He's 5-9 and 175 pounds? Holy shit.

He had no solid scholarship offers as of Aug. 30? Bet that's gonna change soon, if it hasn't already.

And it might seem a bit arrogant that he figured he should already have had the national record in the game against Shelby Valley (a AA team, btw) but I bet he used it for motivation. It looks like he wanted that record, and now he has it. Good for him.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

The 11 p.m. Sports Center showed highlights.

Small, fast kid playing against inferior competition. Aside from the ridiculous stat line, nothing really stood out.

9. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

This is an area where they are known for misrepresenting statistics ... intentionally and not. They often include kick and punt return yardage, and runs called back by penalty, in the totals because nobody knows better. This tape will have to be verified by the WVSWA.

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

By The Associated Press

DELBARTON, W.Va. — Matewan’s Paul McCoy rushed for a state-record 658 yards and scored 10 touchdowns in a 64-0 win over rival Burch.

The 5-foot-9, 170-pound senior’s performance Friday came one day after the Secondary School Activities Commission ordered Matewan to forfeit its first two wins of the season on an eligibility issue.

The National Federation of State High School Associations lists the national record of 619 yards held by Ronney Jenkins of Oxnard, Calif., in 1995.

However, Doug Huff of Wheeling, a national high school records historian and secretary-treasurer of the West Virginia Sports Writers Association, said John Giannantonio of Netcong, N.J., rushed for 739 yards in a game against Mountain Lakes, N.J., in 1950.

“The National Federation book for some reason does not include that, and I think the reason is there’s a formal process for submitting those things. This school doesn’t exist anymore,’’ Huff said Saturday. “The papers recognized it. The school had a special ceremony. It’s been in my records for years.’’

In August, it was reported that McCoy rushed for 537 yards against Shelby Valley, Ky. But Huff reviewed media accounts and a videotape of the game and determined that McCoy actually had 440 yards.

Until Friday night, that temporarily left intact the state record of 460 yards set by Gilmer County’s Jacob Lilly against Tygarts Valley in 2002.

Matewan coach Yogi Kinder defended his decision to keep McCoy in Friday’s game.

“Why should there be any guilty feelings?’’ Kinder said. “Our school’s smaller than they are. Why should I punish my kids for having a pretty good team? We were going to score 60 points if Paul doesn’t even get on the bus.’’

McCoy’s effort came one day after Matewan appealed an SSAC ruling that had taken away three of the team’s four previous wins. On Thursday, the SSAC reduced the number of forfeited games to two and restored linebacker Garrett Epling’s eligibility.

Matewan (3-2) plans to further appeal because the forfeits could jeopardize its playoff chances.

McCoy made his own statement about the controversy.

McCoy, who had 29 carries, ran for 477 yards alone on his touchdown runs, which covered 69, 1, 53, 56, 52, 20, 31, 84, 87 and 25 yards. He had a 77-yard TD run called back by penalty.

His 10 touchdowns would tie him with two others for the second-most ever nationally. The record is 12 set by Ken Pearson of Hugo, Colo., in 1930.

McCoy has 1,723 rushing yards and 26 touchdowns this season. He’s averaging 345 yards per game, which is on pace to break the state 10-game record of 2,744 yards set last year by Nitro’s Josh Culbertson.

Kinder, who also teaches driver’s education at Burch, said he’ll have no problem going back to work.

“I show up every Monday after we beat them,’’ he said.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So, basically, this is a non-story?

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Starman is gratifying himself after reading the coaches' quotes on running up the score.

Oh, Yogi Kinder, ooh ...

Draft saved Draft deleted