1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm starting a new Christmas tradition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Dec 24, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Ah Christmas.

It's that magical time of year when we celebrate with our loved ones or those who are family in name and legality only.

In the 'Beat clan, December 25 is celebrated with a nonstop viewing of The Godfather trilogy, enough Italian food to feed the Lichtensteinan military and my father yelling at his friend and colleague Oscar to "shut the fuck up" while watching sports.

Memories. Light the corner of my mind. You'll excuse me as a wipe a tear away.

Okay, I'm better.

This year, I will be celebrating the holiday alone. And I think it is time to start a new tradition. I don't have the Godfather Trilogy at Flat de 'Beat. That will be remedied soon. But not before December 25.

So, I'm starting my own tradition.

I'm watching Slap Shot today and tomorrow. Because nothing says Christmas like watching the Charlestown Chiefs travel through the Federal League.

I'm putting on the foil.

Who's with me?

(Asked knowing that the first response will be "Is the answer Jesus?")

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

*Raising hand*

Promise me that you won't be so drunk that you pee on yourself if I check you into the boards.

(And FWIW, I've met and talked with Broph ... an original to be certain.)

3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm about to take a massive nap. And then I have to wrap some presents. Still haven't figure out how to wrap the dog.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That's what I'm talking about!

To badly paraphrase the great Reg Dunlop, "Most traditions start like this."

[​IMG]

I got Sam Mills! Who else will join us in this newly born tradition?

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

'Beat. I may be with you. We're heading to my parents, who live in the middle of nowhere. They have no cable and my dad won't pay for satellite. So, the wife and I decided to bring movies this year. I threw Slap Shot in the bag last night — before reading this. Consider it watched at the Incaviglia household.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'll be participating in that great journalistic holiday tradition--working. "No, really, that's fine, Boss, I live for it!"

Just try to capture the Christmas spirit of the thing, 'Beat.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

We got three!

OTD, I do try to capture the spirit of the thing. Even if I do drink that stinkin' root beer.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

There's no such thing as a new tradition. A tradition is a tradition because it's been ongoing. /spnited

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Like fire.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

TMI.

Draft saved Draft deleted