1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cancer claims Bob Jelenic, 58

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

From JRC ...

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hoo boy. Perhaps the mods should do a preemptive lock on this bad boy.

3. Time until this thread gets locked ... 3 ... 2 ... 1...

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How 'bout we just try and show a little respect? The guy died. Anybody can't follow that simple order deserves to get tossed.
    RIP.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Good career move.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Nobody deserves to go through that. RIP.

7. Ah, the legacy ...

Head Had AIDS

Roasted Nuts

S'Matter With Joisey?

Get The Bastards!

They may have been crude, but they worked!

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm going to respect the wishes of the mods and Lucas, obviously, but this was a public figure in our business who led an organization that by all accounts visited a lot of misery on a lot of people -- under his leadership -- so if we're not going to be able to be honest about who he was, then the other suggestion would simply be to let this thread drop quietly off the first page.

I'm sorry -- any RIP isn't going to be very heartfelt by most people, and if it's not, what's the point of posting it?

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You forgot Clemens Took It In The Butt!

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Having seen cancer's work up close, I wouldn't wish it on the worst person in the world.
    In my many years in the business, I made an enemy or two. I suspect all of us have. I don't wish death or cancer on any of them.
    We've taken more than our share of shots at the man on here, most of them probably deserved.
    The hours after his death are not the time to renew the hatred.
    He had cancer. My RIP was quite sincere.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Fair enough.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

As usual, SF Express gets it just right. We are either in the business of telling the truth or we are not. A man's early passing does not forgive his numerous sins. Either let's be honest, or let's walk away. But let's not pretend he is anything other than what he was. If you wish a sincere RIP, Moddy, that is your right. Death is perhaps the one universal pain we all can relate to. But I think it's a bit naive to say say nice things or don't say them at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted