1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

640 effing million

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Mar 28, 2012.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Re: Five hundred effing million

Honestly, I would not change where I live. I would redo the interior of the house, add a sun room and tell no one. No flashy car. No flashy things.

My wife and I would travel like crazy with our child. Telling no one would be the key. In fact, I would not even tell our daughter until she was out of college.

I would hire two accounts to watch my books and neither would have any contact with the other. I would slowly start buying up real estate and using a rental agency to rent the properties out. Some money would go into bonds and some would go into stocks and commodities. I would never worry about increasing my wealth, but more worry about maintaining it or having it grow 1% each year.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you can't do that. I'd want to do that, too, but the lottery makes you publicize it.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was wondering that when I typed it.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Actually, I can't think of a lottery winner (at least one who hasn't famously blown the wad) who has remained in the public eye for terribly long. They grin and hold up the check, and then it's back to anonymity by and large.

As to a win and work: win this Megamillions jackpot, and yeah, you could quit work and live out your days easily. But let's say you take the lump sum on the entry-level $40 million jackpot. That's about $12 million to ya. Now, if a member or two of your family will surely not be picked up by a private insurer, you have to think hard about whether you can afford to cashier your employer's health insurance plan.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not to the people who know you, though.

I think that's what 93Devil was talking about. I wouldn't want a lot of friends and family and such to know. And I wouldn't want people to know should I enter some business endeavors or writing endeavors or whatever else. I'd hate to be a novelty act.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dooley, don't forget the demographics. The winners of megalottery payoffs always seem to be either groups of employees who pool a ticket or far more usually, old people. They don't have many if any years of non-Medicare health insurance left. Gambling is an old person's vice. Las Vegas is a zillion-dollar effort to convince non-old people that's not the case.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I hope your siblings don't want sports cars. They'd get hosed on the "cash in the trunk" deal compared to the guy who wants the Navigator. :D

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The guy with the Navigator gets nothing. It doesn't have a trunk.

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I'm just happy nobody has given me shit for calling the Mustang "souped" up.

It's ironic that a writer would miss that, right? It's like running your mustang into a tree on your wedding day or some such thing.

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I would wipe the debts of my gramma and mom and set both of them up with whatever they wanted.

Buy myself a house on Lake Washington and just chill out all day. I would start some kind of charity to help people also.

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I'm getting in on a pot at work for the drawing. After I win, I'll let all you losers know how I spent the money. :D

12. Re: Five hundred effing million

Jack Whittaker.

Draft saved Draft deleted