1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

640 effing million

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Mar 28, 2012.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Re: Five hundred effing million

Why only two?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd go on a land-buying spree. A few hundred acres in Colorado or Montana on a trout stream. A couple hundred acres in the Mississippi Delta for duck season. An apartment in NYC or DC or both.

And, like JR, I'd be eyeing some property in South Florida. Maybe Key West, but Tank Island - the key the sun sets behind when you're in Mallory Square - might get the nod. Hell, I might buy a whole damn key down there and have to commute to the grocery store by boat.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I've thought about this, too. If I had $150 million (that's about how much you'd have after taxes on the $359 million lump sum):

-- Pay off all my bills and my family's expenses (mortgage, cars, you name it).

-- Give $15 million to my current church to use however it needs. My only request would be that $2.5 million be given to both the children and youth funds; the rest could be spent on whatever.

-- Give $100K each to the American Heart Association and some other charities I and my family have been involved with.

-- Put a few hundred thousand in my bank account to splurge on whatever the hell I wanted.

-- Save the rest.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Humorous side note: Nevada isn't part of Mega Millions. So there are reports of people driving out of Las Vegas and into California -- to gamble.

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I'm pretty sure if I won, I wouldn't be investing in a newspaper. I'd be investing to get OUT of a newspaper.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I'm disappointed in that list because there was a big Lotto win from a town near a place where I lived at the time. She went out and immediately bought a souped up Mustang (frankly, I'd think of better cars to buy) and proceeded to crash it into a tree on her way home and died. Something made her go airborn and she hit an oak more than halfway up the trunk.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Isn't that ironic?

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

There's a show on TLC called "Lottery Changed My Life" that shares success and horror stories.

Some people have done good things with their winnings and are enjoying life, others, not so much.

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=2.15910.56479.37805.x

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

First thing I WILL do on Monday is write "I Quit!" on my sack and place it on the appropriate person's desk.

After that, I will buy a lot and build a house on Topsail Island; get licensed as a pilot and buy my own plane to travel back and forth in a couple of hours from my current residence.

Then, (and I have thought about this) is start a foundation in my and my wife's name to fund strapped athletic programs around the region. It's amazing how many rural schools in our area struggle to the point of principals saying "I hope none of our teams make the state tournament because we can't afford to send them." They couldn't just ask for X amount of money to go in the budget because that would take the pressure off the school system. They'd have to ask for "$1,650.73 for basketball uniforms" or "$2,716.20 to pay for hotel rooms at the state tournament" etc.

We don't have kids, so I'd give most of it away to church, lodge, fund a college scholarship in our name, animal shelter, etc. I'd also leave a boat load to nieces and nephews but they only get it at about age 35 or so with the requirement they hold down careers until then. I'd pay for their college. I'd hook up most of my buddies. I'd buy me a couple of new Harleys for different rides (Street Bob and Street Glide).

I wouldn't have a problem staying busy. I'd still mow my yard, etc., because I don't mind doing it. But whatever I'd be doing, I'd be doing it when and where I wanted. People who want to keep their jobs are insane.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Notice how this thread keeps popping up next to "How Much Did You Pay For Gas Today?"

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

You take the lump sum because, if you drop dead before you've received all the annual payments, the IRS considers the present value of the payments not yet received to be an asset of your estate and taxes it accordingly.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wow. Alanis Morrissette could sing about that.

Draft saved Draft deleted