1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

640 effing million

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Re: Five hundred effing million

I would call Mitt Romney and find out which bank in the Cayman Islands has the highest interest rate.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other 10 percent I'll probably waste."

--Tug McGraw

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'd want to freelance some, but that's about it. I'd give two weeks notice, but that's it. I know my wife would have no problem quitting her job.

I'd want to take care of the basics first. Pay off the mortgage. Move my family into a larger house. Replace my car with something bigger and safer (I drive my 8-year-old around in that thing, dammit).

I honestly don't see any problem keeping busy. My first priority would be my health. Hit the gym every day. Get myself on a healthier diet. If I've got that kind of money and free time, I'm making damn sure I am around to enjoy it for a long time.

I'd definitely spend a chunk helping out my family. My daughter's college fund would improve dramatically. Once all that is out of the way and I get my out-of-shape ass into better condition, then I worry about what happens next.

Oh, and no question, I take the lump sum.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've given it a little thought.

I'd make sure my daughter and her husband were set for life. Then my sister and brother and their families. A couple of close friends.

With that kind of money, one of the first things I'd do would be to set up a philanthropic organization for out-of-work journalists.

And then I'd build the best place I could either on Sanibel Island in Florida or Key West and live the good life. Immediately.

Oh, almost forgot ... I'd hire a personal trainer and nutritionist to help ensure that I'd be able to enjoy that good life for a long time.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

totally would. buy the paper, fire the publisher, give the ME a much needed raise and all-expenses-paid vacation, then hire back as many of the people who have been laid off as are willing to come back

Then comes the beach front property in Florida with a membership to the best golf course I can find and hire Hank Haney to work on my swing

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The biggest problem I would have is how to handle my kids. That would be a big trick to maintain a sense of ambition and a work ethic.

I suppose you'd have to lean on the old saying -- Buffett was the one I heard use it most effectively when describing the relatively limited inheritance his children will receive -- that "they will have enough that they can do anything, but not so much that they can do nothing."

I'll let you know Saturday how it's working out.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Great quote.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've often thought that if I came into a lifetime-sustaining fortune that I kind of owed it to society to step aside and leave a job for someone that needed to work. Along those lines, I've also had the thought of telling my employer I'd work part-time for minimum wage, allowing them to hire someone else full-time.

I've spent way too much time pondering this subject, as some of you might have deduced.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Only trouble with that, n_w, is that at many newspapers, they'd take you up on the offer and then NOT hire someone else full-time.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agreed. With a payout this big you could set up every branch of your family for ten lifetimes with just a small portion of the money, and use the rest to endow a really substantial charitable foundation.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that some of you would use the money to settle scores.

Living well's the best revenge.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Two chicks at the same time.

Draft saved Draft deleted