1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

64-straight games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shotglass, Nov 18, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm seeing a graphic on ESPN right now:

"Memphis: won 64-straight home games vs unranked teams"

Where in the WORLD did people start getting the idea that the hyphen is supposed to be there? I'm seeing it as often as not.

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

That is quickly becoming a sore point with me as well. Not quite as bad as "could of," but you would hope professional journalists know better.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've gone back and forth with this forever. What's it supposed to be?

4. bob

bob Member

Why would you use a hyphen?

5. JackReacher

I suppose because someone could look at "64 straight games" and think, "What's a straight game? Is that different from a curvy game? And why did they play 64 of those?"

If you say "64-straight games," it's obvious that straight is connected with 64.

6. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I thought it did go there since "64-straight" is a compound modifier of games. How should it be done?

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Because 64-straight is a modifier for home games. That's what I always thought.

EDIT: McNuggetsMan beat me.

8. JackReacher

Yeah. compound modifier. That's the fancy editing term for which I was looking.

9. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Why not say or write won 64 home games in a row? Is is that much wordier? It eliminates the whole hyphen issue, which is way out of control in my estimation anyway. I have a thing against hyphens. I know, there are bigger things to worry about. But hyphens bug me.

10. JackReacher

You're right. It does eliminate the whole hyphen issue. Not as concise, but it still works, I think.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I thought you weren't supposed to use straight in that instance? I thought it should always be consecutive?

12. JackReacher

Yeah, but that falls into the same catetory as "against" instead of "over."

Even though "Team A gets a 11-10 win over Team B" is technically wrong, people still say and write it.

Draft saved Draft deleted