1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

63 in a 35. No ticket.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, May 4, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But she fled the scene. I think that's a felony... this just in...

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

She was in the driveway of the parking lot and started pulling into the parking lot. Yeah, she's a real hard case.

Let me put it this way. Imagine you have been told your father has just had a heart attack and that you need to get to the hospital. At the entrance to the hospital a cop pulls you over and tells you that you were driving too fast. You try to explain to him that your father has suffered a heart attack and you are rushing to see him. For all you know your father is dying, and this may be your last chance to see him.

The officer's response is to ignore you, assume you are only pretending to cry to get out of a ticket, and walk back to his car and start writing a ticket.

What do you do? Do you sit in your car, hope he writes the ticket quickly and hope your dad doesn't die in the meantime, because after all you were going over the posted speed limit? Or do you try to get to your dad?

I know my answer -- I wouldn't have stopped for the cop in the first place, and he's not catching me until I'm already in the lobby of the emergency room. And if he's going to try to arrest me then, he better bring help.

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I agree with that point. She should have slowed down to a reasonable speed, put her hazard lights on and made her way through the hospital parking lot to the emergency room. If the cop wanted to cause a scene in the emergency room then that's his choice. But lady at least get there so it's easy to verify your story.

4. T2

T2 Member

When people learn that a relative has been in an accident, it's not unheard of for them to rush off hysterically and cause even more trouble.

Here in the Pittsburgh area a couple of years ago, a man was killed in a motorcycle crash on a rural road. His brother heard about it, hopped on his motorcycle, and sped to the scene, where he crashed into the backed-up traffic and was killed himself.

On a school field trip a few weeks ago, a bus rear-ended two others, causing minor injuries. Two relatives of one of the kids got in a car and raced to the hospital. They ran off the road with horrific results. The kid was treated and released.

I know it's hard, but try to keep your wits about you.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And I sure as hell, if I'm in the parking lot of the hospital, ask the cop to come into the ER with me.. if I'm lyin', take me downtown....

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

He wasn't in the emergency room. Or she wasn't sure if he was yet.

The dad had driven himself there and she wasn't sure if he was in the hospital or slumped over in the car.

Draft saved Draft deleted