1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lou Holtz and Hitler on Friday night pregame

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Oct 17, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I think this is a tweener on the journalism board because of what happened to Jemele Hill.

In discussing a college football program, Lou Holtz just said, "Remember, Hitler was a good leader, too. There are good leaders and bad leaders."

Will that cause an uproar? Friday night college pregame show at 7:40 ET?

SHOULD it cause an uproar?

Edit: I was less positive on which program he was discussing, so I'm removing that part. No doubt he said the Hitler sentence.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nothing will happen; they'll chalk it up to his being a wonderful quipster and that's that. Remember, BEano Cook once called Michigan the Germany of College Football...

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Just because, I'm going to bring out the obvious "Hitler was good at first" joke. There, it's done.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Didn't say he wasn't evil. History is full of nice people who were shitty leaders.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Did that just happen? I was wondering because I'm not sure if I heard him correctly.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Shouldn't rule 1 in print or broadcasting (or at least close to 1) be don't bring up Hitler's name. I know Holtz isn't technically a journalist, but those things on TV are rarely off the cuff. They talk about what they are going to say. Now I hate that guy even more.

7. times38

times38 Member

I thought you were referring to Mark May as Hitler.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'm pretty sure I DID hear him say "sufferin' succotash."

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He mumbled some apology today - apparently gave one last night, too.

10. times38

times38 Member

^BC-FBC--Holtz-Apology,0171
    ^ESPN's Holtz apologizes for Hitler reference
    ^By The Associated Press
    =
    ESPN analyst Lou Holtz apologized on air Saturday for mentioning Adolf Hitler during a college football studio show the previous night.
    The former Notre Dame coach referenced Hitler while making a point about good and bad leadership during a discussion of the struggles of first-year Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez.
    ``Last night while trying to make a point about leadership, I made an unfortunate reference,'' Holtz said. ``It was a mistake and I sincerely apologize.''
    An ESPN spokesman said Holtz will not be further disciplined.

11. Good god.
    Time for Lou to go to the dogtrack.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Isn't it long past that time?

Draft saved Draft deleted