1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Fort Walton Beach, FL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From Journalismjobs.com
    And yes, this has been posted many times on this thread.

The Northwest Florida Daily News, located on the beautiful Emerald Coast, has an immediate opening for a general assignment sports reporter. This is a vital position in our four-person Sports Department. Your coverage will include, a thriving local college sports program, preps, and lots of general assignment, including outdoors. If you have a high level of energy, good planning skills, strong writing and reporting skills, an understanding of the value of multi-media reporting, and the ability to work as part of a team, then we're interested in you. We are most interested in speaking with applicants from the Southeast. To apply, email a cover letter, a resume, and writing samples to Editor Pat Rice at patrickr@nwfdailynews.com. Or, you can mail the same to: Northwest Florida Daily News, Attn: Editor Pat Rice, 200 Racetrack Road NW, Fort Walton Beach, FL 32549.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

What has been posted many times on this thread? Including mine, there are only two posts on this thread.

3. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Yep, this is another live opening. Turnover has gotten that fast there.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I know they've got the Air Force base in town. One of my best friends lives there. Loves the beach, but not much outside of it.

5. goneup

goneup Member

FWB native and former Daily Newser here.
    Redneck Riviera. Beautiful place. Yeah, there's military. Shitloads of military. Best beaches around. Bars open till 4 a.m. (or they used to be). Good high school football. Fishing. Good place for a younger person to learn and leave. Be warned: This is not Miami. It can snow. PM if you want to know more.

6. Sawker

Sawker New Member

May the best man be selected. And when he turns it down I hope they offer it to me. :)

7. Please remind me, didn't this paper just layoff or merge or something resulting in fewer jobs?

8. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

You are correct, W-B....the copy desk and the press are in the process of moving to Panama City. Still separate papers, at least for now, but the shots are being called from Panama City. Very similar situation to Gainesville and Ocala.

9. Writer33

Writer33 Member

Who left? I know a guy there and the job description sounds a lot like his beat.

10. ALMSguru

ALMSguru New Member

Any idea what the pay would be?

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Not too far from Destin, where there are some of the best beaches I've ever been on.

12. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

And, I might add, a hair over an hour to the Flora-Bama....

Draft saved Draft deleted