1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

college beats

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by write receiver, Sep 21, 2008.

1. If any of you on here happen to be editors, I was curious as to what you're looking for in college beat writers. It seems that almost everyone wants someone who already has that experience which obviously isn't always possible...so what types of traits might somebody have that would make them worthy of such a position?

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

--Cheap
    --Hard-working

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bookmark.

4. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

Ummm ... I've got to admit I'm no a sports editor, but I don't think SE's are looking for "personality traits" to sell them on an inexperienced candidate.

Great, so you're hardworking, have a nose for stories and work well under deadline --- so do half the other applicants for the job. Clips and experience, my fellow newb, clips and experience. That's everything.

Oh, and connections (which one can get from ... wait for it ... experience).

5. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Based on all the hires I've seen in my area, which includes two Division I programs, the main criterion is that you not expect much money for your services. Ability to write a plus. Experience is nice, but most people charge more for that.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

unlike high school volleyball teams, all sports writers do not work hard.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

But I work just as hard as you do.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

{shakingheadfromsidetoside} no. no you really don't. {/shakingheadfromsidetoside}

9. sptwri

sptwri Member

Willingness to work August through April with minimal days off. If you're traveling to the carmpus site, that's part of the job. Willing to write gamers, sidebar and graphics package every football game and some hoops games. Also features and trend stories and also ramp up for special sections in your spare time when league championship or bowl games are coming up, as well as NCAA regionals and Final Four. Don't get so close to the school you're covering that you're easy on it, but don't get so far away that you can't call up the football or men's basketball coach or athletic director just before final edition deadline to kill or support the latest internet rumor. Keep travel expenses down, especially these days. And make sure you get your expenses in by the last week of every month. Do a blog or a vlog or some such thing on a regular basis. Oh, and keep your cell phone on 24 hours a day.

I think that about covers it.

10. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

That's hilarious.
    You know who else works hard? The freshman team, and 10-year-old flag football teams.
    So I'm told.

11. If you're covering preps now, break real stories. Arrests. Admininstrative intrigue. Budgetary issues. And do real enterprise.

12. thank you waylon, that's really helpful. I'll work on getting those stories as much as possible. thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted