1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writers with agents

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writestuff1, Aug 28, 2008.

1. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

I was just wondering how big-time someone a sports writer has to be to get an agent. What's involved with the process. Just curious.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Grammatically, you're already there.

3. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

Why is everyone so mean-spirited on this site? It seems like people just can't wait to jump on someone who makes any sort of error on a post. No wonder so many people think we sportswriters are just a bunch of always-complaining jerks. FYI, I inadvertently clicked the post button last time before I had a chance to double-check my entry. Chill out.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

You can edit any post by going back into it - even after it goes up - and punching the 'edit' 'modify' button on the upper right.

Welcome.

This is probably a topic better suited to the 'Journalism' board, though.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Guess you won't have to worry about contacting that agent any time soon, huh?

6. three_bags_full

'Cause I don't know what the hell you're talking about. ;D

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Great title for your next self-improvement book:

How to be a Big Time Someone.

see:

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he's talking about agents, not publicists.

Writers with contracts often use agents or entertainment lawyers to negotiate them....especially when they also do TV and other media.

9. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

If you mean an agent who will help shop you around or talk you up for other jobs (or calls editors to scream about some kind of slight, like column logo placement), it's very, very rare. Only the select few have those kind of people on staff, and it's generally because the agents also deal with book/movie contracts, set up promotional gigs and interviews, etc. See: Albom and, apparently, Mariotti.

10. Can you expand why you think you may need an agent? Do you want someone to negotiate your salary with your editors? Make you get paid next time there's an opening for a 'celebrity' at the community pie-eating contest? Wrangle you a TV/radio deal? Get a book published?

11. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

I was referring to agents. I saw an item here concerning Jay Mariotti. I know guys like Mariotti and Wilbon have agents. I was just wondering at some point in their careers if they had to be "Jay Mariotti" in order to get an agent or if perhaps an agent helped to position him so that he became "Jay Mariotti." Guess I'll get flack for using the quote marks from the smartasses out there. To the others who tried to provide a legitimate answer, I thank you.

12. three_bags_full

I thought they were a nice touch.

Draft saved Draft deleted