1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

60 Minutes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Nov 9, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A great episode. Interview with Obama's four top campaign advisors three hours after Obama's Grant Park speech (Gibbs lost his voice). A report tracking electronic waste to China, complete with a confrontation of the owner of a Colorado e-recycling service who had previously talked about the tragedy of companies just shipping old computers and TVs overseas (which is illegal). Turns out the Colorado guy's company had done the same thing, they tracked a container from his company to China.
    And finally, the rich guy interview of the week with Ted Turner. Don't know if if Viacom is looking for investors or what but I think they've done pieces on T. Boone Pickens, Carl Icahn, some rich guy who helped oust Carly Fiorina from HP and now Ted Turner. Don't know if they all had books out or what, but I guess it beats those stories they'd do where they'd just interview someone in New York for no apparent reason.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I caught the tail end of Pelley's computer-China piece and thought it was strong. The Colorado guy didn't look good complaining about media attacks when they tracked his truck of shit from the U.S. to China and then back again through customs.

Turner's profile was fluff but I didn't know his father was so strict - Safer said abusive, I believe, which Turner refuted - and then killed himself.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I rarely watch 60 minutes, but the commercial after the football games, combined with my desire to stick around and watch The Amazing Race, led to my doing so.

Might I say, that report on the electronic waste heading to China was incredible. You almost felt bad for the small business owner after he was confronted with the fact that he sent the waste overseas, and definitely felt bad for the hundreds of people lined up in Denver for the dump with the understanding they were doing so to keep it in the United States.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yes, nice edition from 60 Mins.

The Hong Kong toxic dump was sad to see, too.
    Chinese mafia running it? They say: "Pay your debt to China, and get those cameras out of here."
    Yes, Turner thing was awkward. His kids seem coddled and rich.
    Like all of us, Jane Fonda is aging

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Definitely a Don't-miss show for me. Their 2 pieces on the financial meltdown were extremely thorough and at the same time simple enough for regular folks like me to understand -- very tough to pull off.

6. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

Key word: Almost.

I never feel bad for someone when they immediately turn to blaming the media. What a cop out. Stop breaking the law. That's not the media's fault, buddy.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I imagine that must have been tough to watch.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Yeah, went online to look up the GAO report on e-waste, hoping to see if they named names as far as the other 60-odd companies that they busted in their little sting effort. Sadly, the report did not.

Tremendous piece, tho.

9. James307

James307 Member

The one problem with the computer-dumping piece: the closing image of children playing the toxic hellhole. It was a powerful image, but that's not a conclusion. The conclusion is what happened or will happen to the Denver company and the 42 other companies CBS found out about . . . Great enterprise piece, but the ending reminded me of the Santa Claus-looking guy who's been on TV for years soliciting money for third world children. It's powerful, for sure. But the story was incomplete or the ending got jettisoned to the editing room dumpster.

There was also a "hole" in the Obama campaign piece. Again, good idea, good answers, but the closing script revealed two of the Mighty Foursome will catapult to the White House . . and the other two?

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Agreed.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Jeez - the story on Afghanistan tonight was tough to watch - things didn't get any easier watching Bob Simon's story on concussions. Seeing John Mackey was tough - no wonder they didn't tease that story during their football coverage today.

Draft saved Draft deleted