1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

60 Minutes: Oil Prices Manipulated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 11, 2009.

1. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

The elite have to make sure that the working class is properly fucked somehow, so they set it up to fuck us both ways. Just in case.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Manipulation and speculation are two different things.
    Speculation is legal, though we all can eventually pay a price for it. Whether there should be greater controls could be debated.

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Can this surprise anyone?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Speculation is, however, one of the primary tools for market manipulation.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

cran, Speculation is simply investment. A speculator assumes the risk of a loss in return for an uncertain possibility of reward. Without speculation you can't have a commodities market.

Isn't saying speculation is a primary tool for market manipulation akin to saying that marriage is a primary tool for divorce?

Again, though, there is no evidence of any oil market manipulation.

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Or me. The most important pieces of paper from that administration and guarded as if they contain the horrible truth about this administration. As they do, no doubt.

7. harbinger

harbinger Member

Huh? Did you actually read that piece?

You can't possibly read that and believe there wasn't manipulation going on.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

....until it is used as a tool within a scheme to manipulate a market. Which is why there need to be regulatory protections in place and why there is need for legislation like the Glass Steagall Act, whether or not Phil Gramm concurs.

9. Because your ideological adherence to untenable economic theory based on a crackpot iinterpretation of human nature rendered you unable to conceive of the possibility of it. There were plenty of economists in the reality-based communoity who saw it coming. Nobody listened, of course, because most of the business press was worshipping The Almighty Market.
    As to the thread head, well, what can I say but,

Unpossible!

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can believe it... if you can show me any evidence of it.

That is a "connect the dots" story that leaves too many gaps between the dots.

The world oil markets are large, diverse and have many players. Why does Morgan Stanley trying to make money on the wholesale market for a much-demanded commodity translate to market manipulation? Where is the proof of it?

Morgan Stanley is a flea in the world's oil market. It can store 20 million barrels, as the story said. Put that in the context of 1.25 trillion barrels of known oil reserves. How can Morgan Stanley -- or anyone else -- fix a price. They were controlling a miniscule percentage of the world market. Even that 15 percent of the market it says they control in New England wouldn't be enough to fix prices just in New England, unless they were conspiring with their competitors.

They'd have had to be conspiring with thousands of other players in the world market to even make a dent on the global price.

Is that possible? Sure. But where is there any proof of that? I'll believe it. But show it to me.

11. My god.
    It's like arguing with a Maoist at this point.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ragu, how do you explain the price peaking at a time when supply was growing and demand shrinking? Simple market forces don't account for that, do they?

Draft saved Draft deleted