1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

60 Minutes: Oil Prices Manipulated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Munching popcorn, etc.

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Amazing! And in other news....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Boom_70

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The post you just quoted makes as much sense today as it did in October, 2008.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have some Jack Daniel's... want some?

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Sure. I'll chase it with some Jagermeister for this quotage vs. verbiage battle royale.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Read my mind....

9. Boom_70

"Yes," Gilligan said. "I tease people sometimes that, you know, people say, 'Well, who's the largest oil company in America?' And they'll always say, 'Well, Exxon Mobil or Chevron, or BP.' But I'll say, 'No. Morgan Stanley.'"

Morgan Stanley isn't an oil company in the traditional sense of the word - it doesn't own or control oil wells or refineries, or gas stations. But according to documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Morgan Stanley is a significant player in the wholesale market through various entities controlled by the corporation.

It not only buys and sells the physical product through subsidiaries and companies that it controls, Morgan Stanley has the capacity to store and hold 20 million barrels. For example, some storage tanks in New Haven, Conn. hold Morgan Stanley heating oil bound for homes in New England, where it controls nearly 15 percent of the market.

10. KG

KG Active Member

Even better, I'll make some of my Fresca bombs.

11. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Don't get me started.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And you could throw in the Govt handing those Wall Street speculators and investment banks a $700 billion bailout without requiring that they account for where all that taxpayer money goes.

Draft saved Draft deleted