1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

60 Minutes memory geniuses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by playthrough, Dec 19, 2010.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What they didn't delve into on the otherwise fascinating story was whether or not the memory skills could have some real world advantages; say, on Wall Street or most likely at the Blackjack tables in Vegas.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Amen. The nebulous, fleeting goo that is my mind at any given moment couldn't handle all that.

3. TigerVols

I wonder what these geniuses think about April 11, 1954...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8160622/Computer-identifies-the-most-boring-day-in-history.html

4. ringer

ringer Active Member

Glad to see this topic here because it was bugging me, too.

I was stunned that "60 Minutes" represented it as some sort of new, little-studied phenomenon.

There was a fairly well-known 1968 book called "The Mind of the Mnemonist" about the exact same thing. (The book was re-released in the late 1980's.)

Well after that (and well before last night's "60 Minutes") Oprah also had a guest who had the same condition - and most of her show focused on how tormented the person was that she could never forget, for example, mean things that people had said to her or things she had said or done that she regretted. But "60 Minutes" treated the condition like it was some rosy magical thing, albeit a little OCD.

IMO, the "60 Minutes" segment was poorly researched and horribly limited in its scope. Far short of what I'd expect from that show.

Similarly, one or two weeks ago - some Aussie reporter interviewed Marky Mark. Worst interview I've ever seen on that show. Have their standards tanked since Don Hewitt died?

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Didn't this show change when the network killed a story? Was it a tobacco story?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Could probably be a separate thread, but I agree that 60 Minutes has slipped. In part, I blame sports -- they're easy for 60 Minutes to do, but in its heyday it wouldn't have done as many sports profiles and book-advance stories. And more often than not it seems like they have episodes with two stories instead of three, when sometimes the two stories weren't strong enough to carry the hour.

Still enjoyed the memory story, since it was new to me.

7. TigerVols

When was the last time someone was ambushed by a 60 Minutes reporter?

Instead, week after week we get Leslie Stahl and her Joker-mask makeup, batting her eyelashes and asking softball questions, OR we get Anderson-my-ratings-nowhere-near-reflect-my-media-hype Cooper wading around in hip boots with some generous billionaire as he gives away millions to impoverished Argentine villagers.

For example, click the link and you'll see more than half of the stories over the past few weeks have one thing in common: A millionaire white guy is the focus of the interview!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1998/07/08/60minutes/main13502.shtml?tag=hdr;cnav

Draft saved Draft deleted