1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

60 Minutes memory geniuses

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by playthrough, Dec 19, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Anyone else see that story tonight? 60 Minutes found a few people, most notably "Taxi" star Marilu Henner, who have encyclopedic memories of their entire lives. Fascinating stuff.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I was still half asleep from a nap when it was on and I kept trying to figure out who she was and how she was famous. I was sitting here thinking Olympic Gold Medalist in gymnastics, so thanks. But yes, it was a fascinating story. Interesting all but one of them were single and the one that was married was on her third marriage. I think I'd love to be married to someone like that. It'd be a great resource, especially in my profession.

3. playthrough

As Henner said, it's an invaluable marriage tool since you'd never lose a fight based on "I don't remember saying..." Then again, she joked that it was her third marriage.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Fabulous piece. I suspect Louise Owen (thewoman violinist) is single, not because she could remember every conversation in a relationship but because of her uber-perkiness. :) Would drive you crazy after a while

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I always thought I had a great memory for dates, what happened and what I was wearing on a lot of days of my life, but not compared to those people. Completely fascinating. I was able to recall what I did on a few of those dates they were randomly calling out, but I had to think a lot harder than they seemed to.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The impending collapse of state budgets then local budgets should be much more alarming than savant Cliff Cavins.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

How would you know if they were truthing?

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

"You know, it's a little known fact..."

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I have no idea what that sentence has to do with the topic. And did you mean Cliff Clavin?

10. playthrough

It was a legit story, not five people imitating Jon Lovitz's Pathological Liars Club skit from SNL.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But being skeptical journalist, unless you independently document the whole of somebody's past day, they can tell you pretty much anything they want.

12. playthrough

Lesley Stahl asked Henner what she did on some random date in 1978 or something. Henner thought for a split-second and responded that it was the day she filmed a commercial in Italy, rattling off the entire script. 60 Minutes then showed the commercial. Even Henner complimented her for digging that up. That's how the story went.

Draft saved Draft deleted