1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

60 Minutes: Couric with Capt. Sully and the flight crew

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

This landing has conjured feelings I haven't felt since the U.S. hockey upset of the USSR 29 years ago, in the sense that the country is so badly getting its ass kicked and this is such a salve of great news on the wounds.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Damn right. I'm ready to invade Grenada all over again!

Seriously, though, Sully is the man.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It's like she's interviewing Jesus Christ. The fawning is just awful. That was painful to watch.

4. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

That is the coolest cat I've ever heard in my life.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When I saw Sully speaking it made me think of the passage in "The Right Stuff " that discusses how all pilots want to sound like Chuck Yeager.

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Captain Sully told air traffic control "we're going into the Hudson" with the same cool as a guy sitting on a sofa with a Newport hanging at the corner of his mouth.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sully is cool and obviously a great pilot.

But most pilots manage to keep their cool in similar situations. Amazing how they do that.

Listen to the black box recordings. You rarely hear a pilot freak out or get emotional.

I don't know how they drum that panic out of them.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not true!

[​IMG]

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The exception that proves the rule!

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Roger Roger.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's the most breathtaking line in the flight audio, yet 60 Minutes didn't air it. Pretty dumb move, especially since they used all the back-and-forth with a.t.c. just before that.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

That really was huge mistake on 60 Minutes part.  It's one thing for Captain Sully to talk about how calm he was during the situation, but it was another thing for me the listener to experience how it played out.  That definitely should have been incorporated into his sit down with Katie Couric. 

Draft saved Draft deleted