1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

60 Minutes: Couric with Capt. Sully and the flight crew

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Anyone else watching? Jesus , my admiration for the captain just keeps going up and up. This is one helluva cool cat. And it just got a little dusty in here when they showed the teaser for the next segment: the passengers meeting the flight crew for the first time since the crash.

2. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

That dude has ice water in his veins. He's the real Iceman.
    But listening to Katie Couric asks questions makes me reach for the single-malt Scotch.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think I would rather land in the Hudson than have to listen to Katie Couric. Why didn't the use Leslie Stahl.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Couric hate.... God... so tired.

5. Amen, Simon. She's one of the best interviewers in the business, and this is especially where she excels. I'll never forget her work on the Virginia Tech shootings. Captures and relays emotion without getting maudlin or gushy.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Did anyone notice Sully getting pretty wet in the eyes during the letter reading? That was a great 40 minutes. Coldplay was such a drop off.

On a side note, that blond flight attendant just made me want to wretch.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Rich Bucher on the local radio on Friday said he was at the Super Bowl next to the Cap'n and so he asked him a few questions, one of Capt. Sully's comments was:

"It was strange, after always being used to hearing engine noise in the cockpit, this one time you hear nothing but silence."

Chilling.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I got misty, too.
    Funny, but I didn't see too many people rallying around her during the get-together. Not like the others. Telling, I suppose.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The ratings should be astronomical.

I bet the injured flight attendant had a lot more stories about what went on in the back of the plane besides the one guy who rushed past her to rip open a rear door (hastening the flooding of the plane), but I wonder if 60 Min held back in sharing them.

10. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

It got misty in here a couple of times, too. Especially when they were reading the letters and during the reunion. Just great stuff. Katie looks a little rough thse days, but she still does a solid interview. And loved when he said that he just knew he could do it.
    The blond had me annoyed at first, but I tried to think about what she went through. All the glowing praise and the perception that the crash itself wasn't that big a deal, and she had it pretty rough in comparison. I felt bad for her, but got the idea that she wants attention. She struck me as someone who is probably pretty difficult in everyday life. Anyone know what the extent of her injuries were? I know she had the pretty deep gash in her leg that they mentioned.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Because it's a big-ass "get" that's going to get huge ratings and they're trying to promote Couric instead of Stahl.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

They termed her injury as serious... but she walked fine two and a half weeks later in Tampa.

Draft saved Draft deleted