1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$60 for Hockey News? $90 for Baseball America?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I got a direct mail pitch inviting me to subscribe to The Hockey News. The bottom line was $59.95 for a year, which I believe is 32 issues.

A few days later I got a similar pitch from Baseball America. They want almost $90 for a year's worth. I think they were also offering a book as a premium.

I understand that, unlike SI or ESPN, these publications need to recoup more money on subscriptions, but I can't imagine writing a check that big for either of them. I'm assuming the Internet has kicked these publications as badly as Sporting News has been kicked. If you're a Maple Leafs fan in Oregon, you can get tons of fresh information every day online.

Seems like a Catch-22. They have to charge enough to make some money, but at these rates, you're going to lose some people who might buy at a more reasonable rate.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Please supply the indicated mailing address for these "subscriptions". There are a couple of splendid scam operations going, and would be pleased to help save a fellow poster from getting snookered.

3. JR

JR Active Member

HC just got a subscription to Hockey News--I had one for years in the pre internet days then let it lapse.

At less than $2.00 an issue, it's still a bargain.

4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Sporting News, $8.95. For two years.

As one of the six people who still enjoy SN, bargain of a lifetime.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I just renewed THN today. Got it as a gift for my birthday last year and really enjoy it.

I've been a BA subscriber for about 10 years now.

I was a long-time (almost 30 years) reader/subscriber of TSN until I dropped it a couple of years ago. I wouldn't read it for free now. What they've done to that magazine is an abomination. It reads like a fucking sportstalk radio station.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sorry, tossed both of them, but I don't doubt they were legit. Doesn't Hockey News use a US address in Buffalo? BA thing came with a color brochure advertising their books.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

That's the stuff I usually don't read, AQB, but I see why that would turn you off.

I've heard SN described as the best magazine to read if you've been stranded on a desert island for a week and needed to catch up on sports. That's accurate, I think. Between the time spent on my beat and with boys ages 2 and 4, I don't get much time to casually watch sports. SN helps keep me in the know somewhat.

I like the "See A Different Game" features and the Insiders. Rosenthal (don't know how much he's there now), McNeal and Hayes are good. I skip much of the gabby stuff in the first few pages.

8. Turbo

Turbo Guest

How'd you get that deal? I like to pick up TSN to read on my lunch break. I need to get in on that.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am the only other subscriber to Sporting News here, and this is someone who subscribed to SI from age 15 to 37.

Sporting News is the least annoying between itself, SI and ESPN Mag.

Draft saved Draft deleted