1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

6-year-old stabbed to death in Bk'lyn elevator

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Beyonce's sister was in the area

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't speak about the parents of the kids who were attacked, obviously. But speaking generally about any kid who has the bad luck to be born and raised in East New York, they are often victims of both their surroundings AND a lack of good parenting. The two go hand-in-hand in East New York.

This is a bit of a different story in that a lunatic is running around with a knife. There is probably a link to an 18-year-old woman who was stabbed to death nearby the night before -- it is likely the same perp. These kids seem to have been victims of wrong place, wrong time, not unsupervised kids getting themselves into trouble that little kids might wander into.

It still doesn't mean that a prudent parent would let their little kids out unsupervised in the projects, or anywhere in that part of Brooklyn for that matter. That is a complicated discussion, though. This is a place where a lot of the kids are born to single moms who are kids themselves, and even if they have the common sense to raise a young child and do it right (which most don't), it is still a very difficult place to give a kid a good childhood.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If you've never lost a child, or even if you have, you have absolutely NO right to pile on those who have.

You're getting pretty close to the kind of posting that tony was lambasted for on the shooting thread.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

What the fuck is this thread even about?

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

For the majority of people, this is too young to be by themselves, even as a pair.

Some communities have different norms than others, so this might be acceptable behavior in that neighborhood.

For my little one, she is six and can play in the fenced in backyard by herself but not in the front of the house by herself.

As a parent you weigh the factors of how quickly and easily a person could take your child and what danger they might put themselves when they are by themselves.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No, I haven't lost a child. I am a parent, however, and I do think it's a valid question on why kids that young were allowed to go off by themselves. Doesn't mean I'm not sympathetic, or that the parents deserved what happened. It's sad. I hope they find the guy and throw him down an empty elevator shaft.

7. Boom_70

Story on the dad. Does not seem like it was a single parent household.
    Heartbreaking.
    http://nypost.com/2014/06/02/5592678/

[​IMG]

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's turning into this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_KKCQTUwwI

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Fuck... I need to stay away from reading about this any more. It's seriously fucking me up.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That Barry Beck punch was a cheap shot.

11. Boom_70

There was always rumors about Barry Beck

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Even *if* they were only killed because they were vulnerable and alone, it still doesn't justify the blanket "Kids can never be given any autonomy because snatchers and murderers are everywhere" hysteria.

I could probably rattle off a half-dozen things that parents consider relatively innocuous that are far more likely to lead to a child being seriously hurt or killed than a six-year-old playing outside alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted