1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

6-year-old stabbed to death in Bk'lyn elevator

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jun 2, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don't even know what this argument is about.

To me, this has everything to do with the surroundings and very little to do with parenting.

I think it was RickStain who said it's entirely possible the only thing that would be accomplished by parental supervision is adding another body to the death toll.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wonder if Matt Taibbi still thinks that public housing police patrols
    are a bad idea.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/taibblog/mike-bloombergs-new-york-cops-in-your-hallways-20120403

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You never admitted to defeat on orphanages. Even when proven wrong on the costs and on how kids would be worse off emotionally.

So what would be your solution to East New York? Train them all to be coffee machine repairmen? BTW, that training would also be a program.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was proven wrong on the costs and how the kids would be worse off emotionally? Really?

That's not how I recall it. But, I am sure it's how you remember it.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

In this case, some sort of neighborhood improvement project would be far more worthwhile than any kind of "parenting program."

6. Baron Scicluna

Possibly, possibly not. The killer saw an easy target.

If their dad was with them, maybe the killer doesn't want another man in the elevator with him and potentially get the shit kicked out of him. Maybe the mom might even make him pause, because there would be three people in the elevator, not just two.

Or maybe he's just a sick fuck who wouldn't have given a shit anyways.

7. Baron Scicluna

Yep, do a google search on the cost of orphanages.

8. Boom_70

"“No one should live in fear of being stopped whenever he leaves his home to go about the activities of daily life,” / Judge Shira Scheindlin

No one should fear of just getting on an elevator to go to
    candy store either.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ugh.

Do I have to respond to every banal post of yours, or risk being accused of running away? Is that your trap?

Yes. Orphanages are expensive. And, if you don't factor in the societal costs of leaving kids in failed homes, they will be the more expensive option.

10. Boom_70

Or perhaps stepped up police patrols of public housing. Oh wait......

11. Baron Scicluna

Very true, although if you're YF, if you've never been on an elevator, then you have no right to judge those that ride one.

12. Baron Scicluna

I just posted an elevator line, but I'm willing to call a ceasefire? Deal?

Draft saved Draft deleted