1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

6-year-old stabbed to death in Bk'lyn elevator

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

We have neighbors who live down the street who NEVER watch their 6 year old boy, and we live in a nice area. And he just runs right into the street, does whatever. Mom never pokes her head out to see if he's OK. Scares the crap out of my wife. He just goes all over like it's no big thing and never see the parents.

And we have had reports of guys riding around in trucks trying to lure kids in. I never let my kids go out front without one of us or an adult present. The world sucks too much for that.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Apparently he knows even less about the "Check your privilege ..." retort that's all the rage among certain circles.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If they'd been 9 or 10 or whatever age is OK for kids to walk downstairs, he wouldn't have been stabbed.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

What my parents did was let me think I was walking to s hool at six, but one of them followed half a block behind me. Only years later did I learn that I didn't actually walk to school all by myself. Kind of the best of both worlds in teaching Independence while ensuring my safety.

Of course, I grew up in a town of 3,500 people in rural Ohio full of reformed Mennonites, so even if I had, I was more likely to be offered a ride to school and a homebaked pastry than be kidnapped or something as heinous as this stabbing.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And if mom is there, she likely gets stabbed, too, and robbed of the $12 she was carrying.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The main thing I'd worry about letting a kid walk to school is some psychotic busybody calling the cops on you for letting your kid walk to school.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

How many kids do you have again?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is about the bias you showed when you called out a mother you know nothing about.

Maybe she's a hard working, single mom, working three jobs. Maybe she's over worked, and had to leave her child in the care of an elderly relative.

What would you suggest? You want the state to take kids like this away from hard working moms, who love them, and put them in foster homes, or orphanages?

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Poor kid. If he had lived in Chicago, he would have had a Glock.

10. Baron Scicluna

Read my question again from my first post again. Actually, I'll help you out.

Why ... wasn't ... a .... PARENT .... with them?

Notice, I didn't say anything about a mother. I said a parent. And yet, you're saying I called out the mother and bringing up orphanages again.

BTW, the dad of the dead little boy has been interviewed by numerous media outfits and talked about his son.

Who's doing the judging again?

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It's different now in that parents keep a much tighter grip on their kids and levels of freedom. Children have always been a threat for kidnapping or physical violence.

Our oldest is 12. When I was 12, I could ride a bicycle between suburbs in a large metro area, be at the mall by myself. I would not let our oldest kid do this, even though we live in a far smaller city than where I grew up.

I think there's a level of worry that, if something catastrophic happened to any of our kids, that we wouldn't be able to live with ourselves. That's probably why we "hold on too tight", as a whole.

12. Baron Scicluna

I see YF has run away from another thread again. Oh no, there I go judging someone again.

Draft saved Draft deleted