1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

6-year-old stabbed to death in Bk'lyn elevator

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Prince died. He would have turned 7 on June 17.

Mikayla is still critical.

The stabber is on the loose.

The world sucks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/02/nyregion/boy-6-dies-after-a-stabbing-in-brooklyn.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ages 6 and 7 are too young to be left on their own. Why wasn't a parent with them?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That was my reaction too... I have a 6 and 8-year-old, I would never leave them alone like that...

The story made me sick to my stomach. There are some fucked up people out there...

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Check your privilege, Baron.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Housing projects in East New York are not bastions of smart parenting, unfortunately.

6. Mizzougrad96

We have a neighbor who lets her 6-year-old daughter walk to school every day. It's a two-mile walk and you have to cross one brutally busy street.

7. The Big Ragu

I have no idea where you live, or what the makeup of your neighborhood is, but I suspect we are talking about a world you can't relate to with this housing project and that neighborhood. East New York is maybe the worst in NYC and it really hasn't dramatically changed since the 1960s, even as much of Brooklyn has gentrified. Any kid growing up there really doesn't stand much of a chance, even if he or she manages to avoid a stray bullet or a knife-wielding killer.

8. Mizzougrad96

This even goes beyond that. You hear all the time about kids getting hit with stray bullets in Oakland, LA, Chicago, etc... This is someone stabbing a kid to death for seemingly no reason whatsoever. Scary, scary stuff...

9. The Big Ragu

Yes, scary stuff. Wherever it took place. I was getting to the question about "Why were those kids going out alone?"

You can will find much worse parenting in East New York than something like two little kids having the freedom to go downstairs to buy ices by themselves. Trust me. They were growing up in a place where a majority of the kids essentially end up raising themselves and they corrupted young because of what is around them. They are in a place that is surrounded by really intense poverty and crime. You don't start out without much of a chance when you are born where they were. The kids who make it through childhood unscathed get swallowed up by a place like East New York.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You've got to be strong if you want to survive East NY.
    It's a hell of a tester.

11. Mizzougrad96

I always think of the Chappelle joke about the baby standing in the middle of the street at 3 a.m.

Years ago, I stopped at a gas station in Chicago and a kid who could not have been older than five came up to me asking for money at almost midnight. I handed him a five and said, "Are you OK?" and he smiled and nodded.

Obviously, one would assume there was an adult somewhere who had told him what to do, but that one haunted me for awhile.

It's a fucked up world.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It depends heavily on the child and the situation. I don't think you can say with absolute certainty that six years old is too young to be allowed a small amount of freedom.

There are some six-year-olds and some neighborhoods where it'd be perfectly reasonable, and there's some where it wouldn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted