1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

6 Americans to watch in MLS 2015

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ruben Rivas, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

I can predict it, it doesnt mean it will happen.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is "Ruben Rivas" Spanish for "doodah"?

old_tony likes this.
  3. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Prob bc you were slow, not athletic and never good at it?

JackReacher and JC like this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I hope it arrives about the same time ISIS gets here.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. EddieM

EddieM Member

The difference between today and yesteryear's attempts at a soccer surge in America is that young people today can watch the best soccer in the world. It's accessible. So while the MLS has a long way to go to catch The Big 4, properties like the EPL and Champions League are already catching fire among young people. There's a reason all of the major sports networks are fighting for, and paying for, those rights.

So soccer, in some form, is getting more popular, because we're finally witnessing the best there is to offer, and not just every four years. It will never be the NFL here. But to say it's destined to the same fate as it befell in the old iterations of professional leagues in America is lazy analysis.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1. And I was into the NASL, even the MISL, back in the day.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think Dick is built for soccer

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

When a young player in MLS gets really good, the first thing people start talking about isn't how much he'll help his team for years to come but how long it will take before he gets noticed and signed by a team in England, Germany, etc.

You have a few Clint Dempseys and Landon Donovans, but aren't most of the big names in MLS past-their-prime Euro league players?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My like affair with the MLS ended when they pushed David Beckham down our throat. And now its become a retirement stop for Euros looking for one last paycheck. Meanwhile, the jobbers make $40k a year.

Embarrassing.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

I never said it will be bigger than nfl, it may never happen in America but I can see soccer being # 2 in about 30 years.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's boring. No one ever scores.

12. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

The idea is to invest in youth and stadiums, mls has a salary cap, is a very disciplined harvard business model.

Draft saved Draft deleted