1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

6.9 (upgraded to a 7.2) Baja earthquake rattles SoCal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 4, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

6.9 just 108 miles southeast of Tijuana, so I suspect our SoCal brethren felt it, especially in San Diego.
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Re: 6.9 Baja earthquake rattles SoCal

Felt it here in Phoenix. Minor shake. That was a trip.
  3. MileHigh

5.1 aftershock hit right in Imperial (on the U.S.-Mexico border).
  4. MileHigh

Kind of funny to watch the East Coast CNN announcers. Trying to linka 4.4 in Sacramento to this thing. Asking about a 5.1 in Imperial and the person running the map clicks on a 1.2 near Fresno.
  5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Heard it was a shallow quake. Any damage reports?
  6. MileHigh

More on the border towns, but not in the metro areas.
  7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

No damage here. It was a lengthy rolling sensation, not a jolt.
    I thought the bomber of Duvel that I just finished had nailed me, then I saw the blinds on the sliding glass door swaying. It continued for more than a minute.
  8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

It shook the hell out of me. That was a big boy.
  9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

It's always hilarious to see East Coast (or Midwest, or South) announcers try getting their hands around a California quake.

They are so unfamiliar with the concept, reach and effect of an earthquake and what the Richter Scale measurements mean that they report every twitch like it's The Big One. A 1.2? My 15-pound cat jumping on the bed shakes things more than a 1.2.

Up by me, this one was a seemingly endless, rolling, swaying quake. Some yahoo initially reported it was a 6.9 in the next city over. Had it been a 6.9 in the next city over, I'd be sifting through broken glass and knocked-down books right now instead of typing this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They do the same thing with hurricanes and the Gulf Coast. Anytime there's a hurricane in the Gulf, they try to blow it up into the next Katrina. Meanwhile, people are having hurricane parties and enjoying a day off from work because it's a Category 1, also known around here as a rainy day.
  11. MileHigh

Strong aftershock in the Salton Sea area tonight rumbled through SoCal. Initial 5.9, now down to a 5.7. Still, nothing to sneeze at.
  12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

They showed the foul pole rocking back and forth slightly at the Brewers-Angels game in Anaheim. One announcer said he felt it, the other said he didn't.
Draft saved Draft deleted