1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chinese gymnasts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

This may have been covered in the Olympics thread, but I'm not wading through 70 pages to find it...

Everyone pretty much knows those Chinese gymnasts are not 16, like they're supposed to be to compete. Why have we not seen a story yet from somebody who found some villager somewhere who says she has proof one of them was born in 1999 or who found an official who will admit to forging documents on their behalf? I feel like this is McGwire-Sosa, where we all should be able to see it and yet I'd be willing to bet nobody's going to find out the truth for close to 10 years. And yes, I do think that eventually the truth will come out and the Chinese team may or may not be stripped of its gold at that point. But it seems like this story could be done now, and it's not.

Thoughts?

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I wonder why it's so difficult to find sources that are willing to go on record to embarrass the Chinese government.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Could it be done now? Maybe with a lot of digging, but who would do it? The NYT has the manpower over there to take someone off a few sports and send them on a weeklong hunt, but would other papers take their one reporter/columnist away to chase something that might come up dry? Doubtful.

It's also easy to sit here and say we'd blow the whistle on a Chinese team in China, it's another thing to do it over there. Or what Oggie said.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Easy. The predominately male sports media is conditioned to suspend disbelief when a girl tells him she is older than she actually is.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

It's sort of impossible to cover anything not on the state-sanctioned Olympic itinerary in China right now. For example,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/13/olympics2008.chinathemedia

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Someone could try to capture one of the gymnasts and make her talk, but they're pretty slippery and agile.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think this "controversy" is stupid. Now we're to think the Chinese were at an advantage because there team was LESS experienced? They're so young they didn't recognize the pressure of the moment?
    If you can't test them to get an age, you've got to take their word. But we're forgetting China has 1 BILLION people, do I think they may be able to breed or somehow find five to 10 very undersized girls for gymnastics with that big of a haystack, Absolutely.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not that being 14 is an advantage necessarily -- just that it is now against the rules for athletes under 16 to compete.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes, since we can't prove they're underage, lets take the Chinese's word for it.

Good grief.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So how many Chinese male volunteers do you think they get to try to breed tiny gymnasts?

11. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

It's been talked about a little bit,

Here:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/olympics/2008/writers/selena_roberts/08/13/china.gymnasts/index.html?eref=T1

And here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/sports/olympics/27gymnasts.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

12. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Thanks for those links. Good stuff. After reading the Times story, I'm leaning toward them not being 16.

Draft saved Draft deleted