1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

59-year-old makes D-III college team.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Robert Conrad beat him to it almost 20 years ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095224/

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Fish, that guy is a tool.

What does he expect, that the D-III Final Four that draws 10,000 people deserves to get more coverage than the D-I Final Four drawing 100,000?

Some people are on crack.

3. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I don't know if he thinks that it deserves more coverage necessarily, but I don't think he understands that most national media outlets are busy covering Division I and don't really have time for Division III except for these kinds of stories. It may be crumbs for the D3 crowd out there, but crumbs are better than nothing.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yeah, he kind of comes off sounding like a field hockey or wrestling person who bitches when there's a story about a boy field hockey player or a girl wrestler.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Or in the old days, a girls' ice hockey player (before girls' teams became the rage).

6. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

That's a good take on it.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

That you even knew that ...

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

FishHack, being the D-III junkie that I am, I'm wasn't surprised by Coleman's write up about it. We actually don't get crumbs, we're lucky to get 1/8 slice of pie. So much so that when I checked out the site earlier this afternoon, the story wasn't even put up on the front page of the site. To me, if Coleman thinks that the national media looks at D-III as a sideshow, then he's not doing his job of promoting D-III.

Nevertheless, I'm a sucker for stories like these on the small college level. If no one in the larger markets care about it, so be it. Birmingham Southern's new football program is more important to him than a 59-year old guy who wants to make something out of a lost opportunity. If this was a 59-year old suiting up for Alabama, Northwestern, or some high-level program, it would get the press that this guy is getting. Sul Ross was 5-4 last season, their first winning season since 1996. Texas Lutheran will win the American Southwest again, with MH-B in second.

How in the hell do they play TLU twice?

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

If it is as good as Fandango, then I'm OK with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted