1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

59 watch......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Aug 30, 2013.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Anyone watching today? Phil has seen every nook and cranny of the course except for the fairways -- and he keeps saving pars.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I bet it happens in the next couple of years when somebody gets hot on the right course with the right conditions. Guys today are so good and the equipment makes it much easier for them to do crazy things.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, Phil shot even par on Saturday and now is 6 shots behind. Crazy game.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Jim Furyk 10-under through 12 holes at the BMW Championship (par 71 course). Needs to shoot 2-under on last 6 holes to shoot a 59.

Not. Gonna. Happen. Too. Bloody. Hard.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Not sure I'd rule that out given the way he's playing.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

You're understandably nervous, since if he does do it it means you have about an hour and a half to live.

this was from Sobel earlier this year about why it's easier to do now.

bit.ly/13TXEFx

I do expect Furyk to fall short like others the past few years but...

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Furyk (who happens to be one of my favorite players) now 11-under on his round through 13 holes. No bogeys. Obviously, playing spectacularly well and making every putt.

Honestly, I'd love to be able to witness some history since I don't watch every round, or even every weekend. I'm just aware how many things have to fall into place and that there is really no margin for error.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The surprising thing to me is that Furyk is not known as one of the Tour's better putters, so he might not be considered among the most likely candidates to shoot 59. But today he's hitting his irons really close and has sunk a couple of long putts as well.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Furyk three-putts No. 5 for bogey, but birdies No. 7. 11-under with two holes (par 5 and par 4) remaining in his round. Live coverage on Golf Channel. (Entire round of TV coverage reairs at 10:30 pm ET.)

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Shipnuck on Twitter, probably true:

Prediction: Furyk will have a 6-footer on his final hole to shoot 59...and he'll miss it on the low-side.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, he's got two holes to do it, and he's on a par-5 right now.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Furyk's stats on par 5 are rather mediocre.

Draft saved Draft deleted