1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

59 watch......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Mickelson is -6 through 8 holes at the Deutcshe Bank in Boston. Playing Par 5 18th now......(started on back)

Has 2 par 5's on front.

Gut feeling: 60 (-11)

EDIT: Birdied 18. Played the back 9 in 28 (-7)

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Typical Phil.
    Bogeys 1 from 110.....tap in eagle on 2.
    -8 through 11.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

59 over.
    Parred 3,4,5 6,7
    Still -8 with 2 to go.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Mickelson finished at 63, leads by one shot.

We had the same thing three weeks ago with Tiger Woods at Firestone.

I doubt we'll see a guy shoot under 60 in a PGA Tour event again in my lifetime. Maybe on the Web.com or champions tour. I would expect we'll see someone (maybe Usain Bolt) run the 100 meters under 9.6 seconds before we see someone shoot a 59 in a competitive round.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In your lifetime? I hope you're not planning on departing us too early, 'cause it will definitely happen. Hell, it should have happened earlier this year with Phil but he had a lipout on the last hole. So many great players now throwing darts on perfectly conditioned courses that, in most weeks, are set up for birdiefests.

There were also two 59s on the Web.com Tour in less than a month this summer.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I'll take some action on that too unless you're 98. In fact, I expect to see a 58 at some point.

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I don't know what the big deal is... I shoot 59 every time... Then I make the turn!

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OK, clarification..... I was speaking of a player shooting 59 or lower for 18 holes IN A COMPETITIVE ROUND (not a practice round) in a sanctioned PGA Tour event.

Look at Woods and Mickelson. Great rounds. Did just about everything right.... and still came up a few strokes short. It's just too damn hard to do. On a par-72, you'd have to be 13-under. On a par-70, you'd have to be 11-under. That probably means at least one (maybe two) eagle, nine or more birdies and NO bogeys. Conditions would have to be perfect, a guy would really have be at the peak of their game and get a bit lucky as well. It's just a LOT to ask, even more than, say, a major league pitcher throwing a perfect game.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No question, it's a tall order. But today's players are accustomed to having their foot on the gas for entire rounds; even the junior scores now can be ridiculous (some young teen from Cincinnati, I believe, shot 59 earlier this summer), so players aren't shocked by seeing crazy numbers. And it really can be anyone nowadays -- look at the list of 59'ers on Tour and it's not a murderers' row. Paul Goydos, anyone?

Not saying there will be a run on 59s like the rash (relatively) of perfect games in MLB in recent years, but there were five on the big tour from 1977 to 2010 and I don't think it will take another 33 years for the next five.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Y'all are aware that it's already happened, right? Five times, as a matter of fact.

http://www.pgatour.com/tourreport/2013/01/31/59-chart--golf-s-magic-number.html

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, Tony, got ya. I think today's courses are set up tougher and, as I mentioned, the stars really have to align right. It COULD happen, but not holding my breath. I'd wager it more likely on the web.com or Champions Tour (haven't really examined the courses the LPGA plays, to hard to say there).

Now, I'm certainly not comparing myself to any Tour player, but I'm with Matt. I know how hard it is to score in golf. You can hit a great putt and have it lip out and there goes a stroke. Arrgh!!

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There have been 281 official no-hitters in MLB, but it never ceases to jazz me when one happens or is a possibility to happen.

A 59 is obviously rarer.

Draft saved Draft deleted