1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

59 for Stuart Appleby

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 1, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Just because I don't see it your way doesn't make me wrong.
    Of the five 59s on the PGA Tour, the first four were NOT on a par-70 course. There's a clue right there.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What percentage of PGA courses are par 70?

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Hondo, we're waiting?

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Look at the stats BB Bobcat provided and tell me again how you're not wrong.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The fact that the first four were not on a par-70 course is too small a sample size to make any distinction. And there are far more par-72 courses on Tour than 70s, especially in the rank-and-file events. There are a few more 70s popping up today because, like at the Greenbrier, they're having to take older courses and fit the modern bombing PGA Tour player on them and the only way is to take two par-5s and turn them into monster 4s. But par-72 is still the norm, and I think the average golfer--while being amazed at any 59--is slightly more amazed at a par-72 59 because of the 13-under-par vs. 11-under-par.

All that said, as a big golf fan I'm thrilled that we're at least debating it here.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean a thing in terms of how players play a course, that day, and manage to shoot a 59. You guys simply won't understand that the more par-5 holes there are, the better the chance, and that's why it took a long time for someone to shoot 59 on a par-70.
    Done with this debate. I made more than a few points. You don't agree fine ... but go ask some Tour players and see what they tell you. You'll be surprised.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So they make birdie on a par 5 which means they take a 4, it is total score not how low under par you are. You should be done with this debate, you've made an ass of yourself.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Honestly, this is as stupid as someone arguing that 3=2.

Every single point you've made supports the idea that it's easier to get a low score under par on a par-72. But that's not the same as shooting a 59.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Front or back nine?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In my best golf dreams I make three birdies in a row, and then maybe get with a hot drink-cart gal. 59 is inconceivable.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Par 4 average score 4.05
    Par 5 average score 4.69

Hondo: "You need less strokes on a Par 5."

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Stop confusing Hondo with facts.

Draft saved Draft deleted