1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

59 for Stuart Appleby

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Aug 1, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wow ... nothing posted so far. Are 59s getting too routine now (all five of them in PGA Tour history)?
    Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, who's endured his share of adversity. And only the second of the five 59s in the final round, to win.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He had to pick this week? When I had Jeff Overton in my fantasy pool? F-tard.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Shit, what would he have done on the course where the Alabama kid shot 57? Low 50s, 40s?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've thought about this while hacking my way around my own local cow pastures, and I suspect that there's probably a limit to how low the pros can go on even an easy course.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I was about to guess 54, but some Googling reveals that the lowest score ever in an 18-hole round of golf played under reasonably official circumstances on a "regulation" course is 55:

http://golf.about.com/od/faqs/f/lowestscore.htm

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That course made the Bob Hope courses look like the U.S. Open.

A 59, 60, 61, 62 and 10(!) 63s shot there. Including a 63 shot by someone who didn't make the cut.

Still, congrats to Stuart. Good guy.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Did the players get to stay in the old nuclear bunker at the Greenbrier?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He never would have shot that at Warwick Hills...

9. This ...

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It was a par-70 course. Does that merit an asterisk?

Everyone who made the cut finished under par for the tournament except John Daly, who was even par.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Once Appleby got his timing down for the big windmill on No. 18, it was a piece of cake.

12. Woody Austin pissed off a few folks when he called it (correctly) a putting contest.

Draft saved Draft deleted