1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes at the Hartford Courant

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by imjustagirl, Jun 23, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Because God knows the paper doesn't win awards.

From Poynter. Says the Saturday sports section will merge with features for an "outdoors-themed hybrid". Argh. Also no word on how many will lose their jobs.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

This is going to be a disaster. Ugh.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Jesus, that's going to redefine the suck.

I don't get it. It was such a great paper. And it keeps gutting and gutting and gutting.

Fuck Sam Zell, fuck Tribune, fuck every gutless beancounter.

4. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

Ya ever wonder why we're all even bothering?

I do.

Kind of feel like somebody using a little kid's bucket to bail out water from the titantic as it plunges downward.

I'm depressed.

I miss newspapers.

5. imjustagirl

I like this part

Translation: "Thank you for scrambling to impress me in hopes of saving your jobs. Too bad!"

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I like how she can't even spell surprising. I guess Sam has told the beanies that r's are expensive.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

And another read of that post makes me even madder.

The ONLY thing newspapers have going for it is the older reader, the one who's not going to surf the web for boxscores or stock tables. They're just alienating the core, more and more and more. And no business section? Are they on crack?

What made the Courant good--and sometimes great--was that it summarized for tiny Connecticut the entire nation. They covered everything. You picked up the Courant, you got a comprehensive summary of the day's news. None of this burying-national-news-in-the-back shit. That's what the smaller papers were for.

The Courant COULDN'T be everything to everyone by going all local. Back in the day, it knew that. And sure, us small towners were pissed we only made the front page of the Courant if someone hacked someone up in town, but that's just the way it was. You want hyper-local, subscribe to the local paper. The Courant gave us everything else.

Now? Now Courant readers get an "...A section with Connecticut news, including facing pages
    on A2 and A3 to showcase what distinguishes the Courant from all other media outlets -- the scope, breadth and depth of our state and local coverage. (Eliminate freestanding Connecticut section.)"

Oh. So ELIMINATING an entire section devoted to CONNECTICUT makes you MORE DISTINGUISHED? Honestly? how the fuck do these fucking assholes even look at themselves in the mirror? How do you learn to lie thru your teeth like this? And really, being distinguished from all other media outlets--most owned by the JRC--in Connecticut...isn't that a lot like being the tallest midget? Big fucking deal. You're better than the New Haven Register and the clusterfuck of JRC dailies in the middle of the state. Good for you. Here. Have a fucking cookie. It'll probably have to sustain you for the day b/c next up on the chopping block is the fucking snack machine.

Cocksucking assholes.

8. imjustagirl

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a study in rage.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I said years ago, long before this crisis, back when management would do re-designs and focus group b.s. just as a big ol' circle jerk to justify their salaries, that chasing after the twentysomethings and alienating the loyal longtime readers was the equivalent of a brewery deciding to snub Joe Sixpack in favor of the wine cooler crowd.

End result: The wine cooler crowd sneers at you anyway, and you lose the folks who have carried you for decades. You end up with neither, because you're a brewery trying to make wine coolers.

Every time I think of most print reporters toting camcorders or stepping in front of them, I'm reminded of that. Every time some non-journalist takes over a newspaper and dictates the future, too.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Yet it's all true.

11. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Didn't the former editor of the Mercury News suggest "re-sectioning" before she was axed?

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So Saturday's sports section ... has no fan-oriented sports coverage?

Fail.

In a presidential election year? Fail2.

I predict many subscription cancellations.

Draft saved Draft deleted