1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Springfield, Mo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by steveu, May 21, 2008.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Link to jjobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=927138

Doesn't sound too bad... it IS Gannett, but paper's pretty good. I'll decline comment on the city because I've realized I'm not the best judge of cities. Thoughts?

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Went to college in the city. If anyone has any questions, message me. The paper is a bit of a joke, but I've heard they're trying to turn it around.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

And in interest of full disclosure, I've never worked at the paper. I've heard some stuff about the paper, and people in the community feel like the paper is a bit of a joke. But I can tell you anything you want to know about Springfield.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I must say I'm a bit surprised they have a beat for Mo. State women's sports. A lot of papers like that would seemingly gloss over the local college's women's stuff, or at least bury it in some type of roundup, except when one of the teams does something particularly noteworthy.

Any idea where this beat and what it covers ranks in terms of how they play it?

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I've heard the same thing too, spup, hence my "pretty good" assessment of the paper. I wouldn't have said that a few years ago.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

You might recall the Lady Bears had an outstanding basketball team with Jackie Stiles back in the day, so I would guess <s>SMS</s> Missouri State women's sports are followed a little more closely than in some places. I'm sure it's not Storrs or Knoxville, but what is?

7. This is the former paper of board favorite, Chris Schulte.

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

When I was there, you couldn't find a ticket to a women's basketball game. They were giving away tickets to men's games, but as a student I couldn't find a ticket to a women's game. I know they've been down and out for the last couple of years, but I doubt that's changed. And driving on campus during a women's game? Forget about it. The old people make campus driving impossible. There is a huge following for Missouri State women's sports. Drury's women's basketball team has been traditionally pretty good, too, as well as Evangelical's. There are 8 colleges in town and those three are the most prominent sports scenes, but six have sports, IIRC.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the SE there is as serious as a heart attack when it comes to putting out a good product. she does a good job with what she has, and she's a nice, quality person.

10. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Why is the exec ed conducting this search rather than the SE?

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

Echo the SE's dedication.

12. Just got the message below back after I sent in my stuff for this job today. The editor is well within his right to ask for such exercises, but I declined.

It's just my opinion, but I think an editor should be able to tell from a good set of clips whether someone might have what it takes. Phone and in-person interviews and references should fill in the rest. We're not in college anymore.

I don't understand what's to be had out of my writing an essay. I see some value to the story ideas part.

I guess I'm missing something and I'm sure I'll be flamed, but so be it.

Thanks for your interest in the News-Leader Media Group’s sports reporting position. As part of our recruiting process, we will need you to complete two exercises to help us assess your skills.

The first exercise is to write an essay. The second is to create four story ideas. These assignments will help us winnow the list of candidates.

Your deadline for all the above is 5 p.m. Thursday, May 29. You can e-mail the assignments to me by the deadline. If your materials are posted on a Web site, please provide me with a link by the deadline.

Full disclosure here: There are so many good candidates for this position that even the slightest misstep – misspellings, inattention to detail, a missed deadline – will eliminate you from consideration.

Assignment 1: Essay.

I would like you to explore this question: “Is there too much emphasis placed on winning in college athletics?” There is no length requirement. I want to see your logic and critical thinking, your ability to express yourself and how well you articulate your point of view.

Assignment 2: Story ideas.

At the News-Leader, we have reporters who cover sports. But they are reporters first and foremost. They, like other reporters in our newsroom, are critical thinkers. I’m looking for reporters who can get beyond the scores and games and generic coverage to create daily enterprise stories that inform and enlighten and delight. Too many clips from applicants thus far have been soft features or game stories. Our readers deserve more. How can you prove that you can do the work required?

1) Give me four story ideas that you will write about the Missouri State University’s women’s basketball program. If you want to make the cut, you’ll need to do your homework and learn all you can about the Lady Bears. Then you’ll need to develop four smart, enterprising, innovative ideas that are must-reads for our community. Generic ideas aren’t going to make the cut. Think enterprise. Be specific.

2) For each story idea, give me four primary sources you will use to report the story and why each is important. Sources can be data or human. But, again, be specific. (ie: Don’t tell me you’ll look at NCAA data. Show me why – specifically -- the NCAA’s 2008 graduation report will make your story better and more authoritative)

With all these assignments, I’m looking to see your creativity, your curiosity and your critical thinking skills at work. Everybody wants to be a sports writer. Show me how you will do it differently. These are tough assignments, to be sure. But covering the world of sports is more complicated than it has ever been. We need the best and brightest to do it, not those who want to be fans. Got what it takes?

Draft saved Draft deleted