1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing a book

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by buckner86, May 14, 2008.

1. buckner86

buckner86 New Member

I know this has been posted in the past, but can anyone give me insight on the process of writing a book?

A client of mine - a former Olympic athlete - has asked me to ghostwrite a book for her. She has a publisher that is interested, and we are in the process of figuring out how long it would take me to write a 4-5 page outline and one 20-25 page chapter, as well as how much I would charge her. Thoughts?

Also, how much can I reasonably hope to make on this, keeping in mind that she wants to make some money on it as well? Trying to decide if it's something I can manage outside my regular work hours and if it's a worthwhile investment of time.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I don't know much about writing a book, but all I do know is you don't want this opportunity to kick through your legs and into right field.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Buckner, check out the writers workshop board. Book deals are a popular topic there. I'll move your thread over.

Draft saved Draft deleted