1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Dienhart to Rivals.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kevin Ryan, May 9, 2008.

1. Kevin Ryan

Kevin Ryan New Member

Folks,

My name is Kevin Ryan and I am the Managing Editor at Rivals.com. I have admired this board from afar throughout my career, but decided to become a member and make my first post today.

In addition to hiring Mike Huguenin from the Orlando Sentinel in October, Tom Dienhart (formerly of the Sporting News) started with us on Monday.

I have seen several threads revolving around Rivals.com in the past - some lukewarm, many that "looked down on" Rivals and some that showed extreme hatred for our company.

I'm just wondering if my peers feel things like the Yahoo! acquisition and the hirings of folks like Mike and Tom change your perception of what we're doing, or if you think the site is improving staying the same, etc.

Thanks, and happy to be part of the group.

-Kevin
    kwryan@yahoo-inc.com

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I think hiring good people from newspapers can only help Rivals' image, but until newspapers are completely dead, I don't think the site will get that much respect from print folks.

There is too much fanboy shit on those sites for the typical journalist to put up with.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No, but this thread adversely affects my perception of Rivals.com. Self-promotion on an industry message board is not good for your public image.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Oh, cut him a break.
    The hiring of Mike and Tom is a step in the right direction. But, until your reporting practices are addressed from people representing your company your image within the industry will continue to suffer.
    Ask Morgan what is ethical and what isn't.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Congrats on the hires.

Ditch the homers covering the individual schools and/or working as recruiting gurus.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I've worked with Kevin Ryan and he is a very sharp, hard-working guy whose hire by Rivals was in itself a very smart move for them.

I suspect most of those folks who poke fun at Rivals and tear them down are online wannabes stuck in some rut somewhere.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm not poking fun nor tearing him down.
    Obviously the site is utilitarian. Obviously there is an audience. And, what's really obvious, there is a business plan and an execution plan.
    Ryan asked for feedback as to his operation's perception amongst the industry. He had to have a sense of where this was headed before he hit "Post." That's why affirmation was sought by including two former respected print journalists in the post.

(And, FYI, I aspire to one day be an "online wannabe stuck in some rut somewhere.)

8. Inky_Wretch

So offering legit criticism is now born out of jealousy?

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

It always has been. Didn't you get the memo?

10. Inky_Wretch

I got it, but then I got the memo telling me the memo was written out of pure jealousy.

11. trench

trench Member

Having been on both sides (print and online) I've been able to see the pros and cons on each side of the fence. Are there talentless homers out there running websites with no compass for reporting standards? Sure there are. But they're being phased out. I do know this... there is relatively high turnover in the satellite reporter gigs that make up the grass roots of rivals, scout, etc., and rivals is (unlike the print side) spending and investing in its product. As more and more of these jobs come open, more and more print-experienced, qualified people are taking them.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Shit, I think I missed that one. I'm jealous.

Draft saved Draft deleted