1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MTV's The Paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Anybody watching this?

The show reminds me a lot of my h.s. newspaper days and a feud I had with a rival. But it also makes me cringe to see a bunch of high-schoolers dirty laundry aired on national television. They spend most of the show just ripping apart the female editor. How's that going to impact the rest of her life?

Anyway ... I've caught about 1 1/2 shows and can't help but wonder if this will suddenly make newspapers cool and relevant to the young generation highly sought after by newspapers, or if it will just show us newspaper geeks for who we are.

Anyone else work for their h.s. newspaper?

2. captzulu

captzulu Member

Yeah, I did. Had to spend a weekend a month at school laying out the paper on Aldus Pagemaker on an old-school Mac and doing paste-up. Those long days and nights should've been a hint about things to come.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/55179/

4. inkypinky

inkypinky New Member

When I was in high school it WAS cool to be in Newspaper. But that's because you got to leave campus during lunch hour everyday to "sell ads" - but it came down to just a handful of people doing all the work, myself included. I enjoyed it though.

I'm sure MTV will fuck with this enough to make it seem much cooler than it is.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Ah, yes .... selling ads. Code for "leaving campus, going to lunch, hanging out in my friend's basement and barely making it back to school for the next class." Good times.

At any rate, I've never seen this show. I only watch MTV for the music videos.

6. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

I did, and I had nearly the same situation with a younger, upstart (annoying) gal who wanted to be EIC. Being that I'd carried the paper the year before, recruited much of its staff (my friends), petitioned to get it made into a class and was COCKY AS FUCK, I figured the EIC gig was mine for the taking.

My senior year, me and said upstart sophomore gal battled it out for the top job, and, being the passive-aggressive hippie the adviser was, she made us co-EICs.

Maybe it was because I was always sneaking off to the dark room with the photo editor ...

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I did yearbook. All the fun of leaving class to sell ads (yearbook was the last period, so we just didn't come back) with only one deadline.

Way easier.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yeah, I did. And, while we had our share of office politics and drama, it was nothing half as obnoxious as all that on the show. But I guess that's tv.
    By the way, I don't watch much MTV. Do all their reality shows show actual teenagers getting drunk and hooking up? One thing when its 25-year-old actors playing teenagers on a show. But actual 17 year olds?
    Maybe I'm just a prude, but what happens when the kids' parents watch this?

9. spud

spud Member

Nah, there's no maybe in that one.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'm just jealous because those kids have better computers than my shop does.

11. spud

spud Member

And the 70+ volunteers don't hurt either.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sounds almost like a Beverly Hills 90210 storyline.

Draft saved Draft deleted