1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, The Robesonian (Lumberton, N.C.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The Robesonian, a daily newspaper in Southeastern North Carolina, is looking for a sports editor. The successful candidate will be someone who loves high school sports, can manage a staff of three, is a strong editor and writer and doesn't mind the challenges of what can be the most time-consuming job at a small newspaper. Local coverage is mostly high school, but there is opportunity to cover some ACC basketball and football. Salary and benefits are competitive. Those interested should send resume and work samples to Donnie Douglas, editor, at 2175 N. Roberts Ave., Lumberton, N.C., or by e-mail to ddouglas@robesonian.com.

I have heard the editor at this paper is legendary for being a micro-managing second-guesser. The location isn't so great except that it is about an hour from Myrtle Beach. You would get to cover some 1-AA (sorry, I refuse to call it the Football Championship Subdivision) stuff at Pembroke. I think they do some ACC but this would mostly be preps.

2. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Worked here for my first job out of school a few years back and learned a lot and gained a lot of experience while there.

UNC-Pembroke is actually D2, the football program did start last year, so I would imagine there is a bit of buzz. As an aside, Kelvin Sampson is from there too and his father still lives there I believe.

There's about a six-school coverage area for high schools, so preps is a pretty high item on the list there.

3. Tarheel316

sga, Pembroke played its first football season last fall as a nonscholarship 1-AA program.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

You're right -- they just don't play many DI schools. Mostly DII.

5. Khary McGhee

Khary McGhee New Member

Tarheel316,

UNCP football is a Division II independent. They played a few Division I non-scholarship football programs, such as Davidson and Jacksonville. But they're Division II and hope to find a conference home in the next year or so.

I work here now and used to be the sports editor. I'll be leaving in a few months to go back to school. PM me for details or questions.

There's very little ACC coverage at all, just to get that out there now. There's just too little time to do so.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

Thanks for the correction. I think I was confusing their talks with the Big South conference as them already being DI.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Pembroke is a Peach Belt Conference member in every sport but football. The league has some terrific Division II baseball, and men's basketball has been pretty well-represented in the Elite Eight.

Those are the good points, as is working with a guy like Khary.

But the editor, Donnie Douglas, is a head-scratcher. Not everything I've heard has been bad, but the one time I spoke to him on the phone he was paranoid, antagonistic and thoroughly unprofessional. For that reason alone, tread carefully.

As has been discussed before, Robeson County has a lot of crime. Of course, that doesn't mean you have to sleep in a armor-plated room but it's still worthy of disclosure.

8. Tarheel316

Khary, thanks for the correction. I had it on the brain they were 1-AA.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, would someone be able to cover duke as a beat at this paper?

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

It would be like 2-3 hours away, so probably not.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what about NC? could someone cover them as a beat?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, you're saying someone could cover east carolina as a beat? that sounds like a lotta fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted