1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

534 women and children removed from Fundamentalist LDS compound

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Re: 200 women and children removed from Fundamentalist LDS compound

I was at the Daily Journal in Franklin, Ind., when all this shit first started, and we were privileged to have in our coverage area a soon-to-be-disbarred attorney named Linda Thompson who showed up at Waco near the end time as the Branch Davidians' unrequested legal representative, put together "documentaries" that "proved" the compound was firebombed, and tried to lead some sort of million nutjob march on Washington as self-appointed general of the Unorganized Militia of the United States. She had some followers locally, usually the people who showed up in the police reports for driving a pickup truck with a cardboard license plate reading "Republic of Indiana," or legal classified ads declaring Trafalgar, Ind., was an independent nation because of some treaty or presidential order in 1837 or some arcane reason. As I recall, Thompson was considered a nut even inside the militia movement, which is saying something.

2. Re: 200 women and children removed from Fundamentalist LDS compound

Bob --
    Didn't she also hit the TV as the spokesperson for a radical wing of the NRA?

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Why not? Krakauer seems pretty credible as authors/researchers go.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean by "radical wing of the NRA," but the group denounced her "Million Gun March" on D.C. Which led to her accusing the NRA of actually being a front for the government's efforts to ban gun ownership.

She also said the OKC bombing was a government plot so Clinton could declare martial law and remain president for life.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

So what you're saying is her axons and her dendrites don't work in consistent cohesion?

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

She also was the "brain" behind the Clinton body count. Whatever happened to her, anyway? Google doesn't help -- at least, nothing is available on her past 1996.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

It is in my book.

If you keep your whacko to yourself (yes, in all ways that can be interpreted), I've got no problem with you. You inflict that shit on other people, especially children, and all bets are off.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So what you are saying is that you have no problem giving the government the power to determine who is and who is not worthy of our basic constitutional rights?

And my basic contention about the Koresh thing is that the government acted improperly and bungled the entire situation. There were better ways for them to handle this -- and bring Koresh and his whackos to justice -- without starting a fire fight in the middle of Waco.....

9. Re: 200 women and children removed from Fundamentalist LDS compound

I thought she went to the NRA convention and ran for president one year, causing an angry split in the organization. That's where I first heard her name, I think.

And, remarkably, z and I agree on Waco.

10. Inky_Wretch

You're exactly right. But you're a nutjob of the highest order if you believe the FBI used a flamethrower to fire bomb the house.

11. Re: 200 women and children removed from Fundamentalist LDS compound

I thought it was incendiary grenades?

12. Inky_Wretch

Depends on which whacko conspiracy theorist is spinning the tale. Thompson's "documentary" promoted was there was a flamethrower on the armored vehicle that rammed the building.

Thompson also believed all three of the ATF agents killed in Waco were shot by snipers under orders to kill them because they'd been Clinton's personal bodyguards and knew the truth behind the Clinton body count.

Draft saved Draft deleted