1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, The Evening Sun (Hanover, Pa.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by standard, Feb 25, 2008.

1. standard

standard New Member

To all who may be interested: The Evening Sun, a 21,000-circulation, seven-day daily in southcentral Pennsylvania, continues to have an opening available for a sports writer. This is a position which we hope to fill as soon as possible with the best qualified candidate. Ideally, we'd like someone who can take our lead as chief preps writer, though there is room for advancement to assistant sports editor if the candidate has experience with Adobe InDesign and layout skills. We're in the process of reorganizing our duties here. We expect applicants to have a realistic expectation of the duties and time required to perform them, so only serious inquiries, please. Send letters of interest, resumes and writing samples to Marc Charisse, editor, or Chuck Curley, sports editor, at mcharisse@eveningsun.com, ccurley@eveningsun.com or to 135 Baltimore St., Hanover, PA 17331-0514.

2. doublej

doublej New Member

Here was one of the threads on this opening:http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1393907/ This sports staff is getting by with only one full-time writer at the moment. They usually operate with three (one is an ASE), but the last two guys to work there didn't last long. One was there three months before leaving the profession and the other lasted three days. Take that for what it's worth. But not a horrendous area for sports coverage. Lots of good wrestling, some decent football and plenty of legion in the summer.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Three days? Was this the guy they just hired last month?

At least one person turned down an offer for ASE previously.

PM me if you have questions about the area, etc. Chuck is decent people, and he will help you get on your feet.

4. doublej

doublej New Member

That's my understanding. He started on a Friday and was gone by the start of the next week.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I know people who want to work there. The pay scale being offered is ridiculously low, though, even for a part of the country that's pretty affordable.

I do feel bad for Chuck, since he's been really short-handed for a while now.

6. jps

jps Active Member

What is the pay scale here? Or did I just completely miss it mentioned already?

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

8. jps

jps Active Member

Yikes. So they basically want a kid fresh out, then? Because I can't see much anyone else wanting to take it based on the pay.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There are some talented kids from the area who work on the sports staff at the Penn State Collegian. Maybe they are trying to hook one of them in when he graduates in the spring. Otherwise, I don't know what they're thinking at this point.

10. jps

jps Active Member

Too bad, too ... sounds as if it could be a bit more than a starter job, despite the smaller circ.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It is a good job, save the pay issue. Lots of good stuff to cover there; you're an hour from Baltimore and 90 minutes from D.C.

12. LemMan

LemMan Member

I worked at The Evening Sun for four years, three of which were in sports.

It's a good place to cut your teeth. Yes, the pay isn't great, but as someone mentioned, Hanover is VERY affordable. I managed to buy a new car while working there and I had a pretty nice apartment.

You will write. A lot. And get a good chance to build your clips. I don't know anything about the ME - he took over after I left - but Chuck is hard worker who appreciates hustle. If you are willing to put the time in, he will let you do plenty.

The wrestling is solid - a bunch of kids get to the state meet in Hershey each year - and Legion baseball is a lot of fun. Plus, from what I have read, the football seems to be improving, and girls basketball has always been competitive.

PM me with questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted