1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jeff Carlton

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by franticscribe, Feb 21, 2008.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

More sad news out of Greensboro. Wasn't sure which board to put this on.

http://blog.news-record.com/staff/jrblog/2008/02/jeff_carlton_ri.shtml

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Fuck.
    Interviewed him for a job. Did great work and a great job in the interview. Was a finalist. Called me to withdraw. Said the cancer had come back and he had to deal with that.
    Fuck. I meant to follow up with him and never did.
    Fuck.

This saddens me more than anything has recently.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Also going to move to journalism board.

4. NCScrub

NCScrub Member

Didn't know Jeff quite as well as some others in the area, but knew him as a great guy. Nothing but positives. Will always remember the fish bowls in Dayton during the 2006 tourney. Keep his family and friends in your prayers. A lot of people in the biz lost a good friend.

5. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Wow. Jeff was a heck of a guy and a real workhorse.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Never met the guy but I read his stuff when I was in Danville. Good writer, and from people I know and respect, a good guy too.

8. RIP.

My thoughts go to his family and friends.

9. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

This is terribly sad news. :-[

All my best to his family, friends and co-workers.

Rest in peace, Jeff.

10. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

Jeff helped get me started in newspapers by giving me my first two stories in college.
    He also gave me a quick course in keeping stats.
    He was certainly one of the good guys in the business.

11. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Five years or so ago, I had one of the most fun weekends of my life with Jeff.

He was up our way to celebrate at a bachelor party for a friend of ours, former BA writer Lacy Lusk. The weekend was a baseball road trip.

We had several others join us for a Saturday afternoon game at Camden Yards for O's-Blue Jays. My uncle was kind enough to hook us up excellent seats - two sections to the right of being directly behind home plate, about 10 rows up. I caught a foul ball that game.

Most of the group headed back to DC after the O's games; Lacy, Jeff and I were left to head north to Aberdeen; I believe they played Auburn that night. We waited out a rain delay, somehow got great seats again (front row down the 3B line) and chuckled at the reliever throwing an 86 mph 'heater' with no movement. But what I remember most was us reading - and laughing our asses off - at the free weekly we had picked up, particularly the crime log. There was a long story about some dispute between area residents that - forgive me for not remembering the details - involved a slab of meat at the center of the dispute with some guy getting threatened with a tire iron. Funny enough, no? It gets better.

Whoever the reporter was took the police report as gospel, apparently. One of the quotes from an eyewitness was something like, "That's the man! That's the man from 15 Evergreen Street" or wherever the incident took place. Because someone in their excitement would yell out the exact address... we howled over that all night.

We stayed at some crappy motel and got up early the next morning for the drive to Reading, Pa. to see the R-Phils and Akron. We had crappy left-field tickets this time, made only more tolerable by the fact that I (not so much Jeff and Lacy) was steps from the Yuengling stand, to which I made several trips. We got bored with the seats and decided to check out the rest of the place.

Eventually, we found ourselves in right field at the stadium pavilion, which was set up for a party for folks from a local grocery store chain. Except no one was manning the front entrance. So we snuck in and settled down at one of the picnic tables, which had a small TV at one end. We tuned in the big-league Phillies while keeping track of the game we were at. I had just enough beer in me to say screw it, so I took off my shoes and wandered over to the small pool. I stuck my feet in, chatted up one of the moms watching her kids and enjoyed the day. That was one hell of a way to end a weekend.

I hadn't really kept in touch with Jeff, especially after Lacy moved on to bigger things. But I was deeply saddened to check in here this afternoon and find the news of this thread.

RIP, Jeff, and I hope you enjoyed that weekend as much as I did. :'(

12. http://generalsfan.com/2003-04/news/nr-08-26-03.html

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted