1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hall of Fame-worthy smackdown of Bill Simmons

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I read Simmons' latest tripe today (yes, I knowingly chose to read Simmons; blow me), and thought of ripping it on here, but Kissing Suzy Kolber did a much better, and more profane job, of eviscerating it than I could hope to do.

I’ve been trying to rein in the ol’ Simmons-bashing of late. It just makes me look like I’m being a whiny asshole with nothing better to do. Which is true. But no need to belabor the point. Besides, I think we’ve already spent enough time trying to prove Simmons (pictured above. Oh wait, that’s Dane Cook. Oh well, same thing) is an arrogant cockhog. You make fun of him enough, and soon YOU start to come off the one who’s repetitive and annoying, so I think I’ll take the high road and…

And that's not where the similarities begin and end with the '86 Celtics and the '07 Patriots.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. Why do you make it so hard for me, asshole? Just when I was trying to swallow my pride and appreciate the Patriots run, along comes William Of Greenwich to bring my acid reflux back.

When the Colts ducked the AFC Championship Game with an indefensible choke job against San Diego, many die-hard Boston fans thought the same thing: Ralph Sampson.

And by many fans, he means ONE.

Look, I'm not saying the '07 Colts or '86 Lakers openly chose to lose. They just took the easy way out. Subconsciously, they were probably thinking, "Deep down, we know we're not winning the title this year," and responded in crisis with the appropriate amount of urgency.

Wow, what an amazing analysis of the collective psyche of 50 to 60 players and coaches on the Indy sideline! I’m sure they subconsciously really wanted to lose to avoid your precious Patriots. No competitive fire in that team! What’s the view like inside your own large intestine? Is it shiny?

In the process, they cheated two unforgettable teams of punctuating unforgettable seasons by topping their natural rivals.

Oh, poor you! You get to go 19-0, just not against the teams you wanted to go 19-0 against! Oh, you poor millionaire you! You were so cheated! IT’S ALL SO UNFAIR!!!!

On top of that, (Brady) excelled during an unhealthy era in which we digest sports through various mediums, argue about them constantly and pick athletes and coaches apart on a 24/7 basis.

It’s true! If only it were like back in the old days, when people couldn’t write columns on the Internet! That was really the beginning of the end! It's also terrible when people can anonymously rip other people online, like the Sports Gal does!

He has the same satisfied smirk on his face that someone has when they're meeting the boyfriend of a kinky ex-girlfriend, like he's particularly delighted to make eye contact for that split-second as they're shaking hands.

“Kinky women usually leave me for other men because I play a Dictaphone of Adam Carolla reading my columns, and I make them wear a Kimmel wig! I also like to give smug glances to other men, just to be a fucking prick!”

I have this one on tape -- in the second half, the entire Celtics team morphs into Clint Eastwood during the final 15 minutes of "Unforgiven." It's incredible to watch. This game should run on ESPN Classic once a week.

Because Boston fans would really enjoy it! And they’re the only fans that matter!

The '86 Celtics had one of the most significant home court advantages in sports history, finishing 50-1 at home (including the playoffs) and breaking records for "Most times a group of fans recognized that a great pass was about to happen even before it happened," and "Most times a crowd has ever lifted a team from one level to another."

Because Boston fans are smarter and better than regular fans! In fact, they’re so good, they can literally improve the athletic potential of the team! But that’s not all! Boston fans can also turn lead into gold! And heal by touch! And when they take a shit, little animated birds appear from out of nowhere to wipe and powder their asses clean!

You can't say enough about that gag job by the defending champs. What a disgrace. Part of winning a title is defending the title after you win it ... and that wasn't anything remotely resembling a defense.

So true. If you don’t do well the next year, your title shouldn’t really count! Like when the Patriots when 9-7 in 2002 and failed to make the playoffs! So weak!

Whether it's a team or a player, the test remains the same: Will you be bouncing your grandkids on your lap some day and telling them how great Player X or Team X was? (Note: I always thought this would be a great way to decide the Hall of Fame -- if somebody doesn't pass the Grandkids Test, they're out.)

I see someone is taking notes at the Woody Paige School For Idiotic Hall Of Fame Selection Methodology.

You know, I started off liking Simmons because I thought he was different from every other sportswriter out there. But he’s fucking EXACTLY like them all. He only gives a fuck about HIS team, HIS life, HIS opinions, and getting you to side with him. And all the old Rocky III jokes in the world (“Oh look! Two men hugging! That’s so funny! Don’t you think it’s funny that I find that funny?”) don’t make a goddamn difference. Know why I can’t ignore Simmons? BECAUSE I DON’T WANT TO. I want to be reminded exactly of what it’s like to be some self-satisfied asshole who doesn’t give a shit about entertaining readers.

So, to that end… WE’RE UPPING THE BOUNTY!!!!

Twenty-one whole dollars to take out our man’s hands (NOTE: Offer not valid). He’ll never type or stroke his fingers through Wes Welker’s hair again. That’s the price you pay for making me root for fucking Marmalard (Philip Rivers), assfuck.

http://kissmesuzy.blogspot.com

Here's Simmons' latest piece of shit. Read at your own risk.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/breakdown/080116

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wow. Those guys should post here.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Perhaps they do, some of them anyway. Although Big Daddy Drew, who wrote this particular item, is not a journalist.

4. joe

joe Active Member

Guy needs a new hobby. Juggling chainsaws, for instance. His obsession is a little creepy.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Here's a suggestion: don't read it if you don't like it.

Novel concept I know. And so much easier than typing out 1,000+ words on how much you hate Simmons.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I had the first Boston fanboi post at 7. Should have taken the under.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ok - will admit when when I first read I thought that Suzy Kolber actually wrote the blog. I was thinking Wow wow wow.

Now I realize my error

Carry one

BTW this is nothing new about Simons . its been written here at sj for 5 years.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

On the insufferable prick meter ...

Boston (Pats, Celtics and Red Sox) fans > the fans of every other team in the world combined

9. That was outstanding.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm not about to read all that, but did Simmons mention that both those teams had a history of cheating?

Does anyone else remember assistant coach Chris Ford watching a tv in the back room when CBS had a camera in the 76ers (?) huddle. The Boston defender amazingly jumps on the cutter before the player can even get into the lane, and the Celts win the big game. I know someone (Spnited?) probably remembers that game better than I can, but it was blatant cheating, and CBS called them out on it.

Simmons can be very good, like his Hoosiers breakdown, but after I read the third or fourth "Boston," I'm gone.

I use the same rule my buddy's dad used on him when Richard Pryor was on HBO.

"OK, Milan," his dad told him, "I'll let you watch Richard Pryor, but the first cuss word I hear, I'm turning it off."

Of course his dad knew what was coming.

"Let's talk about...," said Pryor.

The word rhymed with "ducking."

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So Bill Simmons is the Good Charlotte of internet bloggers?

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is the anthem; throw all your hands up!

Draft saved Draft deleted