1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$51 million? For an unproven commodity?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Nov 14, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

To be fair, the Yankees have purchased:
    Three ALDS losses, two World Series losses and an epic collapse in the ALCS.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Here's to hoping that in the next 30 days the BoSox and Boras can't work out a deal, but Scmidt or Zito signs with the Yankees, the other signs with the Mets, and the other big name pitchers on the free agent market sign somewhere. That way the Red Sox will have no star pitcher left on the market to sign.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If those pitchers are off the market during negotiations, you can bet the Sox would sign Mats. They wouldn't be able to afford not to.

4. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

This is going to seem like an especially dumb signing next year when the Brewers beat the A's in the World Series. (Official start of 2007 prediction thread.)

5. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

This is why baseball's system is absurd. Rights to international players are essentially a free-for-all. Could you imagine if Dirk Nowitzki or Yao Ming only went to the Lakers or Knicks? Or Alexander Ovechkin only going to the Maple Leafs or Rangers?

But I supposed the smaller maket teams will just have to remain "creative" and hope signing guys like Scott Hatteberg will hack it.

Competitive balance. My. Fucking. Ass.

/Lee Elia/

6. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I'd love for baseball to reveal the other posting bids and show that the Yankees came in at around $22 million. That would be amusing.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, this is the arrangement the Japanese League wanted in order to protect themselves from all of their best players being drafted to America with no compensation.

8. I have no problem with the deal. It makes business and baseball sense for the Red Sox. Matsui brings somewhere around 20 mill to the Yankees annually because of his popularity in Japan. What is annoying is the Red Sox always crying about how they can't compete with the Yankees, yet they go do something like this. They're paying more than several team's 2006 payroll to negotiate with a player - they are just as bad as the Yankees. Worse, actually, because at least the Yankees are what they are and don't try to be anything different. I respect the Yankees far more than the Red Sox. I don't root for either team, though.

That the Red Sox didn't pay for a World Series in 83 years is more pathetic than anything.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hey, you still have to make good choices, like not spending on Jaret Wright and Carl Pavano...

10. statrat

statrat Member

the $51 mil makes me kind of happy my Mariners dropped out of the bidding. I smell another "Fat toad" coming...Not to mention the Yankess now fork over the equivalent of the U.S defense budget to get Schmidt, Zito, Clemens and Pettite in retaliation

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sure. Except he's a buck eighty five.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

$51 million up front and Boras wants a 3 year deal so he'll be a FA ASAP. That's 3/45 tp 3/51.
    The RedSox will be paying about $100,000,000.00 over 3 years? That's stupid.

He's got to put together 3 seasons in a row like he's Guidry '78, Gibson '68 & McLean '68 to be close to being worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted