1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

$51 million? For an unproven commodity?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Almost_Famous, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good point, but will he be worth it when they have to pay him $45 million over three years and essentially just paid $96 million for three years?
    He better not act like ARod in the postseason if the Red Sox will be paying nearly $30 million a year for him.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

To you and I, yes. to them, no.

The $51 million is pocket change perhaps intended to maximize revenues in another corner of the world. It's not going to affect how they manage their payroll.

If he ends up being a flop, they'll dismiss it as a $30-odd million investment gone wrong. They've done it before (hellooooooooooo Matt Clement and Edgar Renteria).

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Tojo Strikes Again.

Is there a way the Red Sox and Boras can both suffer humiliation and to hear the lamentation of the women!

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What I find the most amusing is how many Red Sox fans I know who have been saying this lately:
    "The last time the Red Sox signed a foreign pitcher at the age of 26 it turned into one of the greatest signings ever!"
    Well, not to get all Wolf on it, but let's not starting sucking Matsuzaka's dick yet. And let's see if he can be better than Irabu/Park/Nomo before comparing him to Pedro.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Can you imagine what they'd be saying if he went to the Yankees? "THOSE GODDAMN YANKEES BUYING UP EVERYONE ALL OVER AGAIN!!!"

This doesn't go for all Red Sox fans, just a majority.

6. KP

KP Active Member

I thought you were talking about Robinson Checo.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

So if Larry Luchino declared the Yankees the "Evil Empire" because they outbid him for Contreras, does this make he and Red Sox the biggest hypocrites in sports?

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

No. Boston's such a small market. He's the only guy making any sort of coin. Manny, Ortiz and Schilling don't make any money...

9. KP

KP Active Member

Yea, well... ummm YANKEES SUCK!

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Red Sox = Yankees Light.

11. KP

KP Active Member

To the other 28 MLB teams
    Red Sox = Yankees

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Except the Red Sox have bought one more WS title than the Yankees in the past 6 years :D

Draft saved Draft deleted