1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirty mind?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by goplayintramurals, Dec 21, 2007.

1. I'm having a really, really tough time this basketball season with a certain girls team in our coverage area.

The schools mascot is the Beavers. So, of course, the girls teams go by "Lady Beavers".

I won't write this in my articles. I just can't do it without snickering. Do I need to get over this? I've just been refering to them by their school name for the past few month. The bad part is, they're actually good so they get a lot of press clippings.

2. [​IMG]

hehehehe, he said Beaver ...

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Get over it. It's their name. Although, unless it's a rare case, e.g. Lady Vols, I never use Lady.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

What? Are you kidding? Get over it and write 'Lady Beavers.' Hopefully the others on this board are nice to you on this one.

5. BUT ITS A EUPHAMISM FOR VAGINA. ???

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

So? They aren't the Lady Vaginas!

Get over it.

7. It's euphemism. Dude, you got all sorts of problems.

8. Thanks for the spell check boss!

The way I look at it, it's completely unethical to run "Lady Beavers". As journalists and gatekeepers of information, it's our civic duty to defend people from things that could be offensive. Thnk about some kid picking up the paper and reading that? What if it was your kid? Would you feel the same way?

9. Refusing to use their mascot makes you look like the dirty-minded one, not them.
    It's not your fault they picked a dumb name.

10. OK, are you serious?
    You might have an argument if they were the "Lady Shaved Beavers Railed."
    "Lady Beavers" has no inherent sexuality. It's just our knowledge of slang that makes it so. And if your story isn't teaching the kids what the slang means, then you aren't doing anything to contribute to the ills of society.
    Do we stop covering crime because some kid might get scared reading about a murder?

11. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

This has got to be a joke. It's our civic duty to defend people from offensive things? You have to be shitting me. Oh no! I said SHIT. Must be offensive.
    Lady Beavers is the name of the TEAM. A beaver is an animal. Goddammit.

12. Fine. If you're content to have your kids grow up with "hoo-hoos" and "vajayjays" all over the newspaper, go right ahead and do your thing.

As for me, it's a world I hope I'll never live in.

Draft saved Draft deleted