1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philly Ink has new sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Dec 17, 2007.

1. dcdream

dcdream Member

We are delighted to announce that Inquirer alumnus Jim Cohen, widely known as an innovator in sports journalism, is The Inquirer’s new sports editor. As ESPN’s vice president for programming and production from 2002 to 2006, Jim was responsible for creating, launching and managing the wildly popular “Pardon the Interruption” show that turned a couple of print journalists into multimedia stars, plus “Around the Horn” and “Cold Pizza.” As we move more aggressively online and add more video to our website, Jim’s expertise in these areas will be invaluable.

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I wouldn't call "ATH" and Cold Pizza feathers in my cap, but I still wish Jim all the best. Hopefully he'll find a way to figure out how to maximize the website's potential...

And also to cut the dead weight known as Screamin' A.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

We can forgive ya for Cold Pizza, Jim... oh, wait, it did give us Kit Hoover... :)

Welcome aboard!

4. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

As sports journalists we see ATH as fairly worthless, but it's a decent program for fans. I'll agree with Cold Pizza. A complete bust. Does this mean that newspapers can compete salary wise with the WWL? I would have to think so. And didn't Philly cut a bunch of jobs not to long ago?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Didn't their last SE take a job at ESPN? And has the Stephen A. Smith thing been settled yet?

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Jim Jenks went to MLB.com.

7. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

The memo says that Jim Cohen was at ESPN through 2006. Maybe he was idle and looking for a new gig. A logical move.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not to be too much of a wise-ass, but how widely is he known as an innovator in sports journalism?

That asked, congrats and good luck to him.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

This may be a dumb question, but what about print journalists who don't aspire to be multimedia superstars? Is there a place at the Inky for them with the hiring of Jim Cohen?

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Whether or not you aspire to it, hb, odds are you're going to have to become one. That was put in no uncertain terms to me upon a recent reorganization. I will blog, I will do multimedia, and I will like it.

11. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

I think Cohen was well-liked at the Inquirer back in the day. The current executive editor was there with Cohen at that time. So the multi-media experience might just be a bonus. He might well have been hired back regardless of where he had worked in the interim.

12. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Yeah, IJAG, I was given the same instructions. So now, I'm at least pretending to like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted