1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

500 workers at Seattle Times asked to take week unpaid

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigSleeper, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, we'll pick your cotton.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Where did I say I expected anyone to do that?

Or that I would do it myself?

I can't blame anyone who bends over and takes it...nor do I blame anyone for doing so. But I'd admire anyone who told the Times to stick it.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hey times, stick it.

4. What is there to admire about somebody committing career suicide?

Nobody will notice, nobody will give a fuck, and the guy will be out of work.

The guy might feel like a hero for a day before reality sets in.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's the principle of the thing.

Why should we pay for the ineptitude of the bosses, who will continue to skate on by and get paid?

I'd admire someone who took a stand. I bet his co-workers wouldn't forget.

6. Because 51 weeks of pay is better than 0 weeks of pay.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, we should feel lucky for any bone management throws us despite how hard we work.

8. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

You guys aren't reading this clearly.

The folks being asked/told to take time off without pay are managers or non-union workers. That means that no reporters, columnists, copy editors or designers are being asked to do so, because they all are union workers.

Basically this means that sections editors and higher are getting the shaft, along with any schmucks that work on the business or human resources side of things.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

And said business would be......?????

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Are there certain -- or any -- principles worth quitting over, inconveniencing or disadvantage-izing yourself over, write?

Maybe this isn't a heel-planting moment. After all, at least the Seattle paper isn't docking people pay and expecting them to work on those days anyway. Unpaid time off is better than unpaid time on.

But you are willing to draw some lines in the sand, aren't you, without the particular harshness or unfairness or unilateral change in terms having to affect precisely you and you alone?

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Problem is, Joe, the middle class has been punched in the nuts repeatedly over the past eight years, culminating with the Confederate Republicans' grab at the groin in the last couple weeks vis-a-vis Detroit, that no one has the conviction -- strength? -- to stand up to big business anymore.

Maybe things change once Obama has been in office for a while and things really get desperate. Who knows.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Depends whether you're single or not. Depends whether you have kids or not.

I can think of a few instances, none at my current job, where I would have quit out of principle. I told one of my bosses just that at my last stop on a particularly odious decision of theirs. Sure it was an empty gesture in most ways, but I let them know just how displeased I was.

Draft saved Draft deleted